Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Fabricated a custom front Bumper from a 48" long piece of 10x3x3/8" Steel Channel and 1/4" bent plate for the winch mount/ anchor.

It is extremely stout but is not much heavier than the rock crusher bumpers some of my buddies have. I was a little worried about the weight, but the strength made me less apprehensive.

I was able to attach it to the bumper at 4 places so it is extremely solid and I have no fears using it to winch or pull people from the mud.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
its HUGE!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
paint those flares! haha

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
cudos to you for getting out there and fabbing something for your Jeep ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was a little worried about the possible weight, but it is less than 90 Lbs. I cut as much out as possible without sacrificing structure.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the whole thingand the winch is 90 Lbs?!!?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Its a bit wide compared to what Im going to build but I do like it. I can deff. say that Im sure its gonna hold well. You did a nice job of fabin it up though, its pretty clean.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Looks good and kudos for getting out there and doing your own fab work.

I would like to know a little more about those shackle mounts though. If you really plan on using those as a recovery point then it needs to be the strongest point of the bumper. From the pictures it appers that the shackle is basically being held to the bumper by a strip of metal and the ends of the shackle bolt. I would think that you might have some interferance issues with the bolt swiveling up and down under load.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts