Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall I got 4.88 gears installed in my jk about 500 miles ago and the guy at the shop told me to come in and have them checked at that time and to have my gear oil changed, I wont be able to get to the shop before I leave for college so is it ok to wait until i get home and have another shop look at it? Will they charge me a lot more then the shop that did the work in the first place?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did the shop that did the install quote you a price for the follow up check on the gears, or is that included with the install? And yes, I would assume someone other that the original business would charge you more for the service.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would assume the follow up check is included in the install price as its verifying their own work maybe the gear oil is additional.. But a new shop will charge full price for labor hours

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And how much labor would it be to check the gears? All they are doing is opening up the housing and changing the oil, not to much right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like is this something realitivly easy that the dealer can do with regular maintience like an oil changed or should I take it to a 4x4 shop, or is it even nescessary because if there was a problem I would have noticed it by now?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Like is this something realitivly easy that the dealer can do with regular maintience like an oil changed or should I take it to a 4x4 shop, or is it even nescessary because if there was a problem I would have noticed it by now?
The deal with having the shop check the gears after 500 miles , is so they can look at wear pattern and make sure back lash is still in spec. Plus fresh gear oil, the break in oil will have some contaminate' s in it. Should be done...!!

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Hey yall I got 4.88 gears installed in my jk about 500 miles ago and the guy at the shop told me to come in and have them checked at that time and to have my gear oil changed, I wont be able to get to the shop before I leave for college so is it ok to wait until i get home and have another shop look at it? Will they charge me a lot more then the shop that did the work in the first place?
When you consider what you paid to get re-gear... In my opinion college can wait 3-4 hours to have the shop check ,drain & service them! My guess is you've missed a day or two of class for something a lot less important & expensive!

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
The deal with having the shop check the gears after 500 miles , is so they can look at wear pattern and make sure back lash is still in spec. Plus fresh gear oil, the break in oil will have some contaminate' s in it. Should be done...!!
agreed, you should have them check it for the wear pattern.

however, if you can't, absolutely can't, make it into the shop, then you should at least change the diff fluid, like Jkuone said, there will be particulates/metal shavings/whathaveyou in there from the break-in period.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In addition to what's already been stated, I'd want the original shop to do the 500 mile inspection since they would be responsible for any warranty work. I wouldn't want to give them a reason to deny a warranty claim because they didn't do the inspection.

·
Registered
907 Posts
In addition to what's already been stated, I'd want the original shop to do the 500 mile inspection since they would be responsible for any warranty work. I wouldn't want to give them a reason to deny a warranty claim because they didn't do the inspection.
^^ x 2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts