Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change out diff flooding at 500 miles.
Shop says 80-90W Gear oil of my choice. Regular is fine they said, no need for Synthetic. Open to conventional or synthetic.

4.56 Yukon Gears
Detroit True Trac in rear.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Torco RGL,, GL 6. The stuff is really oily... lol

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
I use the cheapest synthetic on the shelf.
We do water crossings a couple of times a year so I'm typically changing fluids a couple of times a year.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Redline, the only thing I have used in my diffs, transfer case and tranny for the last 30 years.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I like Royal Purple. It has the friction modifier in it already, so nothing to add for our Sahara with LSD. I buy it off Amazon for a good price and it's delivered right to my front door.

·
Registered
27 Posts
for the first 500 miles during break in...use conventional. Any will do. i happen to run valvoline during this time. Simply because it was cheap.
After that, like blue baby said...if you do water crossings and change it often, go cheap.
after that, use what you want to. i know dynatrac specifically states to not use synthetic, but people do.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Torco RGO 85W-140 in my Dynatracs.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I guess differential oil seems to be all over the place. Guess similar to motor oil.

I don't do water crossing or fording. Just deep mud puddles or water holes.

When I used synthetic motor oil, always used Mobil 1. They make gear oil too. So guess will just check pricing out on brands mentioned too.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
So I guess differential oil seems to be all over the place. Guess similar to motor oil.

I don't do water crossing or fording. Just deep mud puddles or water holes.

When I used synthetic motor oil, always used Mobil 1. They make gear oil too. So guess will just check pricing out on brands mentioned too.
Depends a lot on climate too. The 80's are good for warmer climates but the 75's work better in cold climates

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Detroit says synthetic is not recommended with the Trutrac.
I used Penzoil purchased through amazon at my 500 mile change after going 4:56 with a trutrac in the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Don’t get one with friction modifier.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Detroit says synthetic is not recommended with the Trutrac.
I used Penzoil purchased through amazon at my 500 mile change after going 4:56 with a trutrac in the rear.

Thanks.! Was going to look that up. Shop did say no additives and why he just said use regular.

Guess front will only get synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I wouldn’t waste money on synthetic on the front. Use the same on both diffs.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
When I researched it, the oil I pictured checked all of the boxes.

I remember gl5 was an important rating, but I don’t remember if it was for the Trutrac or the gears. I am thinking Trutrac.

My biggest advice, don’t overfill. Follow the factory recommendations on levels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends a lot on climate too. The 80's are good for warmer climates but the 75's work better in cold climates
I am in SLFA. Was told 80-90W. No towing

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Keep in mind synthetic has smaller particle sizes and more likely to seep past axle seals especially if they weren't just replaced. More prone to expose leaks. I just regeared as well and used the cheapest 80w90 from Walmart.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Keep in mind synthetic has smaller particle sizes and more likely to seep past axle seals especially if they weren't just replaced. More prone to expose leaks. I just regeared as well and used the cheapest 80w90 from Walmart.

JKs come factory with synthetic gear oil I believe.
Personally I only use Lucas synthetic or Amsoil Synthetic gear oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Syn is more prone to seep past the seals. I don't use it in the diffs. Torco RGL is non syn and is GL6, the oil of choice by Currie.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Syn is more prone to seep past the seals. I don't use it in the diffs. Torco RGL is non syn and is GL6, the oil of choice by Currie.
If the seal is in good condition it won't seep past a seal. If it is then you have a bad seal.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts