Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv got a 06 wrangler se auto trans my question is should i change the gears in the diffs iv got a 2"skyjacker lift with a " body lift with 33-12.50 tires... it dont like to go much fadter than 60 mph and is constantly shifting in and out of od. And the rp is usualy about 2700...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a straight 6 with a automatic transmission ..its running about 2500-2700 rpm at 55 mph

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hippy, get rid of your 3.73s and go with 4.88s or be smart and put your money into an 8.8 with 4.88s and a locker of some sort. I re-geared this summer after my lift and 33s and now I'm kicking myself for not doing an rear axel swap instead of re-gearing my d35. On the bight side, the deeper gearing is waaaaay better than the stock gears, drivability is much better and 4-h&low is a monster. Also when you do re-gear it is much better on your tranny. No more constantly shifting in and out of gear etc. Weigh your options when considering your d35, how much it will cost as opposed to how much would it cost to find an explorer rear end, gear it, and have it set up for your tj.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Its a straight 6 with a automatic transmission ..its running about 2500-2700 rpm at 55 mph
Your first post says your Wrangler is an SE which comes with the 2.5L four-banger engine. So based on the above follow-on post, is it actually a Sport that comes with the 4.0L engine and not an SE model as you first said you have?

I ask because the right ratio recommendation depends on which engine and transmission you have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good eye! I never thought about that ..... dam! I guess i have no idea what iv got now ... the title says its a se ..... but it has a straght 6 automatic ... i really dont want to take the inspection plates off to count teeth .... and to make maters worse it looks like thehave ben off b 4. ... and has a new front drive shaft with new u joints ... great! I thank you jerry for pointing that out ...... it appears i have a new ball of wax now ... iv had nothing but trouble sence i bought it 2 weeks ago ....... note to self ... just becouse its big shinning and looks like it will eat you dont buy it! Lol .... im sure this will b continued .....

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Count how many spark plugs your engine has, four or six. An SE comes with a four-banger, perhaps you were only told it has a straight-six? :confused:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If I"m not mistaken in 05 and 06 the 4.0 6cyl was an option for the se.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a 6 cylinder ... im at least that smart ... well kinda i just crawled under it and its 17° out. Brrr! Ok the tag on the back says 231j next line is. 52105886ac. Raito 272... this help any?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Its a 6 cylinder ... im at least that smart ... well kinda i just crawled under it and its 17° out. Brrr! Ok the tag on the back says 231j next line is. 52105886ac. Ratio 272... this help any?
That 272 simply means your transfer case has the normal 2.72:1 4Lo ratio. Based on that 4.0L engine confirmation, go straight to 4.56 gearing which is ideal for 33" tires, 5-speed transmission, and your 4.0L engine. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Your axle should have a steel tag on it with the axle's ratio embossed into it.

The tag in the below photo indicates the axle has 3.73 gears inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerry, im a little confused on your post ...i need 4.56 gears? And i hace a automatic transmission ... sorry ... your verry helpful ...im just a lil slow ....

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Whoops sorry, I confused you with someone else. Yes for your 4-speed automatic transmission, you need 4.88 gearing for 33" tires. 4.56 would only be appropriate for 33" tires and the 4.0L engine with a 5-speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol no worrys jerry, so im gathering with my 4.0 6 cyl and automatic transmission i need 4.88 gears right? .... i went back out side and the cover had ben taken off and no id tag .... so my next question is what is needed to do the swap? Obviously gears and knol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Obviously gearsvand knowledge ....but any thing elce ... carryers ? Or? ?? Sorry man im lost in this department and dont even know where to get gears or a brand ... i was thinking a locker i could switch on and off too .... ( mabie) trying to keep a budget if some sort lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Atcweldr.. had said a explorer rearend set up for a tj ... 8.8 ... um ford parts fit jeeps? Sorry man just trying to figure my options ..... i do t wheel alot pluss its my dd so that might be a lil more heavy duty than i need ...... but what do i know ...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts