Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to regear my little 4 banger so I can have a bit more pep, cause as we all know, the 2.5 isn't really quick. How difficult is it to install your own gears? Is it something I should even be looking into, or would it just be best to pay someone the grand to do it?

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
It's not really hard to do - just something that needs to be done spot on right. I'd have a gear shop do it the first time around, and have them teach you the basics of it while you watch to see what exactly is going on, then next time you can be assured you do it right.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yeah, I agree on that assesment. It isn't really hard to do, but you have to do it right or you will blow up your whole differential. Plus there are some tools that you need to have that are quite expensive. And who is going to charge you a grand to do gearing. Hell here in Phoenix there are 2 or 3 different shops that will do them for 150 or 200 an axle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know alot of experienced and mechanical Jeep owners who don't do this themself, because they do not have the tools to do so. However, once you have done one or two I hear that it is not that hard, but probably not something you want to do yourself without instruction from someone experienced. And you should be able to get both axles regeared for under $500.00 in labor, I paid $400.00

1 - 5 of 5 Posts