Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone,
I bought a 1989 wrangler back in April and have done some things to it. Well, I put more money into it than what i bought it for. Ha Ha! I'll Post some pics when i get a chance. Anywho, first problem i need an engine 4.2L , the rings are gone. i'd like to pick up a used one but i'm having a really hard time finding one. and for the other problem, when i put it in 4wd and go it sounds like theres a "clicking" coming from where the front drive shaft is. i'm thinking or hoping that its just a universal. but if you guys and gals could help it would be fantastic thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Is the clicking noise all the time or just when doing a tight turn? All the time universals, tight turn it might have a cheap locker in the front.

·
Registered
270 Posts
check the front d-shaft and the u joints in the axle i had this problem it was the passenger joint in the axle as for the motor i have one but it has pritty much the same problem if you can look for a 4.0 its not hard to put in and welcome by the way

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It makes the noise whenever i'm climbing or going through ruff stuff when its in 4wd but if it's flat and smooth and in 4wd it doesn't make a peep. With the 4.0 it's fuel injected? how much do i have to change?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
hey and welcome. sounds like a u joint, and the 4.o is a great option for you, change engine, wiring, and computer, and trans. its not a walk in the park, but worth the time and money.

·
Registered
270 Posts
if you have the ax15 trans you can keep it all i had to do was swap motors (they have the same boltpattern and mount location) install and wire the comp (three wires plus gauges) and that was that its really as easy as putting a new 4.2 it and you get the benefits of feul injection. x2 on the u-joint

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys about how much generally would it all cost on the 4.0 swap? i'm pretty sure the whole drive train is original i know i have a dana 35 rear but not sure about the rest of it anyway i can find out what i got? It is a 89 yj sahara

·
Registered
270 Posts
the ax15 trans is a aluminum case the pujoe is a split down the middle case. my swap cost me around 500 total you may be able to do it cheaper or more expencive depending on what deals you can find and if you need the tranny (i did not)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts