Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new to me tj a couple weeks ago and I'm trying to see exactly what I have as a lift and size. When I called on the cl ad I was told it was a body lift about 3" so we drove the 2 hrs down to take a look and drive it.

I was expecting to see the goofy 3" pucks but there aren't any, and to me it just looks like the rubber bushings you see on all the videos of body lifts being installed. It was on his "winter tires and rims" (235/75/15) so to me it really didn't look to crazy high. I asked him and he said he had bought it from a dealer 6 years earlier and that's what they had told him and he's only put 14k miles on since then and never runs it much. So we drove it and it rode great was clean as a whistle and has great service records. So we bought it and loaded the big 33x12.5x15 Tires in the truck and brought it home. I got home and put the 33's on and can tell it's got the taller coil springs on it so I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have. They installed all of this and even dropped the transfer case but left the stock away bar links so I had a ton of top heavy feeling body roll so I took a chance and bought the rough country qd sway bar links (3-4.25" kit) and installed them and it's helped a ton.

Is there a way to measure something to tell exactly what I have or some way to look and figure it out? It has rancho 5000 shocks but I don't know if that's the actual kit brand.

Here's a few pics of when I bought it on the small wheels and then switched it to the bigger 33's

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
measure the springs, oem was 12" up front and 8" in the rear. anything over that is your lift height, doesnt look like there is any BL

·
Registered
741 Posts
From the pictures it looks like you do NOT have a body lift. Check the bushings where the body fastens to the frame under the doors. That should be a bushing about 1 inch tall.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
When I called on the cl ad I was told it was a body lift about 3" so we drove the 2 hrs down to take a look and drive it.

Here's a few pics of when I bought it on the small wheels and then switched it to the bigger 33's

A 3" body lift would leave a 3" gap between the sway bar cover and the grille... no BL there

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya there's definitely not a body lift I've seen a guy at work who has a 1.25 and all mine has is a rubber bushing about 3/4" that I believe is from the factory judging by the videos I'm seeing of body lift installs.

How can I know for sure what I have so I can look at replacing things like shocks and make sure I'm ordering the correct things?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome thank you I missed this reading through the others

Ok just measured and the fronts are 15" rears 11" so I'm going with the assumption this is a 3" suspension with no body lift. That sound like it will be ok to run with that idea ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts