Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas, and ladies,..

thinking about buying a 2015 JKUR this year, trying to get out of my 01 Jetta. Watched a lot, researched a lot and i have a good idea of what i will do with it, now comes the question..

since this will be my daily, through out NJ and into the city, which i plan to take cross country on trips, and do some trails,should i opt for the manual or the auto?

my vw is a 5sp and i don't have any problems driving it in stop and go .. used to it by now.. but how drivable will the jeep be with say 37s and the proper gears in a daily commute?

·
Registered
453 Posts
..uhm commuting in 37' just keep the Jetta as a commuter car. I commute in Chicago with my 09 manual w/33' and 2.5 lift and its OK, you can't dart in / out of traffic like a VW. Stop and go on the highway is tiring . The clutch on the Jeep is heavy, makes noise and subtlety is not in ints vocabulary. BUT, people , small animals and bicyclist will get the f$%$% out of your way on 37' with a proper steel bumper, which could be a benefit :)

Obviously, everyone's tolerance is different and it might be OK. for you. and finally depending on the commute mileage it would suck. I would say less than 15mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..uhm commuting in 37' just keep the Jetta as a commuter car. I commute in Chicago with my 09 manual w/33' and 2.5 lift and its OK, you can't dart in / out of traffic like a VW. Stop and go on the highway is tiring . The clutch on the Jeep is heavy, makes noise and subtlety is not in ints vocabulary. BUT, people , small animals and bicyclist will get the f$%$% out of your way on 37' with a proper steel bumper, which could be a benefit :)

Obviously, everyone's tolerance is different and it might be OK. for you. and finally depending on the commute mileage it would suck. I would say less than 15mpg.
thanks for the reply, yea i know it won't be as nimble as the vw but honestly I'm tired of that car, was fun for a while but i need something more prapctical and family oriented, i drive 250s and larger at work so I'm used to the sluggish feeling, would 35's make a big difference in mugs and drivability? (my car gets 16 on a good day right now)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Mike has 35s (3.73 gears) on his jeep and he averages 15-16mpg. His commute is about 28 miles each way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts