Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just picked up a 2000 sport TJ to get back on the trails. I have owned 2 TJ's in the past, but havent had one since 2005. I'm pretty excited to start riding again.

So anyway, i have a stock TJ, auto, 4.0. I want to do a low COG setup. I have a brand new set of 33x12.50 big horns on black steel wheels already so that is the tire i am going to run. I also have an 8.8 out of an explorer. It already has ARB air locker and 4.56 gears. I plan to make the swap, but not right now. When i do, i will swap the front also with a 44 with ARB air.

For now, I need to get these tires under it. I really want to do this right. I know i could get a RC 4" pretty quick, but i know i'll end up scrapping that kit. The kit that has my attention is a 2.5 OME. I'm looking at the kits offered at DPG. Which kit should i start with? Should i just piece together a kit? I really want a good riding rig.

Also, i want to run flat fenders. How about smittybilt?

Thanks for any help and i am looking forward to getting off the pavement again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, so i've just about made up my mind on the OME ultimate kit from DPG. Anything else i should consider?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
4" lift total is recommended to off-road with 33's. you can do less but once you add bump stop extensions to compensate for rubbing, your basically at a stock flexing setup. I would recommend a good 3" suspension lift like bds, ome, etc. with a 1-1.25" body lift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4" lift total is recommended to off-road with 33's. you can do less but once you add bump stop extensions to compensate for rubbing, your basically at a stock flexing setup. I would recommend a good 3" suspension lift like bds, ome, etc. with a 1-1.25" body lift.
how about 2.5-3" with flat fenders and no stops?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey everyone! I just picked up a 2000 sport TJ to get back on the trails. I have owned 2 TJ's in the past, but havent had one since 2005. I'm pretty excited to start riding again.

So anyway, i have a stock TJ, auto, 4.0. I want to do a low COG setup. I have a brand new set of 33x12.50 big horns on black steel wheels already so that is the tire i am going to run. I also have an 8.8 out of an explorer. It already has ARB air locker and 4.56 gears. I plan to make the swap, but not right now. When i do, i will swap the front also with a 44 with ARB air.

For now, I need to get these tires under it. I really want to do this right. I know i could get a RC 4" pretty quick, but i know i'll end up scrapping that kit. The kit that has my attention is a 2.5 OME. I'm looking at the kits offered at DPG. Which kit should i start with? Should i just piece together a kit? I really want a good riding rig.

Also, i want to run flat fenders. How about smittybilt?

Thanks for any help and i am looking forward to getting off the pavement again!
OME makes great springs......those I would go with no question. For 33's a 2-2.5" suspension lift with possibly a 1" BL/MML(And a tummy tuck)down the road(or now) makes for a fantastic performing offroading rig.

As for shocks though I would bypass the OME nitrochargers and look at doing a quality monotube like the ones offered from BDS, Skyjacker(M95 series which is a rebadged BDS 9500 series shock), or Fox.

Keep your suspension lift as low as possible, especially since your going to be doing higher clearance fenders soon. ANd regardless of whats stated, you can do a nice LONG TRAVEL suspension on only 2-2.5" of lift with minimal or no bumpstopping.

I run OME coils and have roughly 2-2.5" of lift and I run 10" travel shocks front and rear with basically only .75" of added bumpstopping. Within the next couple of months I am going to be running 12" travel shocks........and that's with no added bumpstopping or lift. It can be done.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
how about 2.5-3" with flat fenders and no stops?
you always need bumpstops, and i agree with flat fenders and 2-3" lift for 33's.

but it really depends on a lot of other factors, shock length compressed and extended, track bars and steering setups, actual placement of flat fenders, etc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, i could just do the 3" BDS ultimate kit for 200.00 more. How does BDS ride on/off road vs OME? Isn't zone rebadged BDS stuff?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
so, i could just do the 3" BDS ultimate kit for 200.00 more. How does BDS ride on/off road vs OME? Isn't zone rebadged BDS stuff?
Read my previous post above. ^

BDS springs are very stiff compared to OME. OME uses the same stock heavy duty rates from the factory(which is 140 front/160 rear).

A lot of springs on the market gain their lift using shorter stiffer springs, which IMO is counterproductive compared to companies like OME,RC,Currie etc. which gain your lift using softer longer springs(better ride quality, better flex and travel), unless your rig has added significant weight(talking quite a few extra hundreds of pounds worth)front and back, your best bet is to keep with springs in the factory range.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I personally run the 2" 4wd hardware coils. They are rebadged bds springs. I am very happy with the offroad / on road ride characteristics. I got them shipped to my local orielly auto parts for around $220. The quality is great. Lots of rough offroad trips the last year, no sagging or change in ride quality. I also paired these springs with bilstein 5100's and could not be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts