Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow jeepers. My names mark and I just got my jk. It's an 09 2door. Right now it's completely stock besides aftermarket rims. I'm looking to lift it. Now usually I don't bother asking questions, I'm used to leaf springs(my last vehicles were square body chevys) so these fancy coil springs are new to me. I've been looking into some different manufacturers and I've been reading up on reviews of each one, throwing most of the manufacturers right out of my head. There's too many horror stories. I figured I'd see what rough country had. I'm interested in their 3.5 inch kit. (http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-608s.html) <--- for reference. Anyone run it? Or know someone who does? Keep in mind it's a daily.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Welcome. Rough Country is not a quality lift kit at all. Look at MetalCloak, Rock Krawler, even Teraflex and AEV.

What size are your tires? You really don't need that much lift on a two door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just finished installing that lift and 35s on the wifes 2011 jeep unlimited last night and dropped it off this am to get the alignment checked. it took longer than the specified time for me because i did a lot of extras as well . i rebuilt the front axle , new wheel bearings,front driveshaft, brakes etc. i have only driven the thing .5 of a mile so far , so i dont have alot of feed back on it yet. im curious as to the other comment about the quality ?? care to expand on that comment? it looked to be of good quality to me and looked well thought out ... that said there are a few tweeks i would make to it but it appeared to be very nice. ill let you know more after some wheeling this afternoon!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
i just finished installing that lift and 35s on the wifes 2011 jeep unlimited last night and dropped it off this am to get the alignment checked. it took longer than the specified time for me because i did a lot of extras as well . i rebuilt the front axle , new wheel bearings,front driveshaft, brakes etc. i have only driven the thing .5 of a mile so far , so i dont have alot of feed back on it yet. im curious as to the other comment about the quality ?? care to expand on that comment? it looked to be of good quality to me and looked well thought out ... that said there are a few tweeks i would make to it but it appeared to be very nice. ill let you know more after some wheeling this afternoon!
Some recent RC lift feedback.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-help-2-5-inch-lift-and-ride-quality-sucks-2049769.html

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Yes these kits I linked are significantly more expensive. You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension. Your entire ride, handling, steering depend on the lift you choose.

"Buy once, cry once". Buying the RC kit by the time you deal with wandering steering, saggy springs, crappy shocks and replace them, plus labor to redo everything if you don't do it yourself - you're into the Jeep the same amount anyhow.

And with 35s, be prepared to address regearing. Big Jeeps that drive well, handle well and perform well are not cheap.

If you come down to 33s, you don't need a lift, tho most folks add a level kit (less than $200 iirc), add disconnects if you Offroad (est. $100), add some flat fenders (opens up the wheel well to make the lift appear bigger than it really is, cost free if you trim factory flares, otherwise depends on your choice), trim plastic wherever you rub (ie air dam etc, cost free), regear (est. $1000-2000, varies widely by what part of the country you are in) - you will be at a much more budget friendly price point. Added bonus: you don't even really need to lift, which pretty much eliminates many potential issues associated with lifts.

If you want a "budget" 2.5, look for the "WF Favorite" lift kit post - iirc it's a combination of Teraflex and drop brackets. You will still need to address gearing.

You can also run 35s on zero lift if it's a pavement Jeep with the flat fender scenario like with 33s. You will need properly backspace wheels or spacers.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I second the RK 2.5 x-factor suggestion. Have been pretty happy with it so far. Will add that it's only been a month. But I did walk through many, many threads before getting it.
At about 3k with shocks, it may seem expensive, but one must realize that you are going to seriously change the dynamics of the suspension on a vehicle that weighs ~4-5,000lbs and taking you and your loved ones on the road.

Don't cheap out on this.

(Big thanks to mommymallcrawler and all of your inputs over the years!)

·
Registered
367 Posts
My wife works at a shop that recently installed a cheap RC 3.5 kit for a guy running 35s, they kind of chuckled at me for spending 3 times more for a RK kit that "didn't even include a drop pitman arm". Guy is back at shop trying to fix it because it's "all over the road".

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I second the RK 2.5 x-factor suggestion. Have been pretty happy with it so far. Will add that it's only been a month. But I did walk through many, many threads before getting it.
At about 3k with shocks, it may seem expensive, but one must realize that you are going to seriously change the dynamics of the suspension on a vehicle that weighs ~4-5,000lbs and taking you and your loved ones on the road.

Don't cheap out on this.

(Big thanks to mommymallcrawler and all of your inputs over the years!)
Thank you very much Chris! And your post is spot on. It isn't just adding height - it is changing the entire geometry, driveline and steering angles the Jeep was engineered with. Basically, with the help of the aftermarket lift companies, it is reengineering the Jeep.

You can often get discounts at many of the WF vendors as well, so encourage anyone reading to pay them a visit up on the Vendor sales board.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My two cents: call every manufacturer and talk to them specifically about your needs and your Jeep..

There's more to Jeeps and suspensions then X-Brand Kit, or X - Brand Part. My suggestion is first find a coil suitable for your Jeeps ultimate weight. Then pair up a shock based on that.

Metal Cloak makes good stuff, but I will never touch their coils because the overinflated their length specs in advertising, and will not give out spring rates. When I was trying to get a feeling about where I would stand with my lightweight build they would only give me sales pitches.

From the spring and shock combo, then work your way into geometry correction. Focus on durability and maintenance. Some joints require frequent maintenance, and if you're lazy like me that's a problem.

Research research research, call and talk to manufacturers, give them data to work with. Ask tough questions, then decide.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did the 2.5 Teraflex and a 1 1/4 body lift. Body wasnt necessary but i like the look of a little gap in the wheel well. I run 35" mud Grapplers and it drives really well, only thing i added was front adjustable control arms from core 4x4. It really improved how it drives

1 - 14 of 14 Posts