Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic is old, but didn't have time to search around for it.

I just bought a stock 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Without adding a lift I wanting to buy some nice wheels and bigger tires.

I would like to put on Mickey Thompson Classic polished wheels with 31x10.5 BF Goodrich all terrain tires.

Will they fit ok and will I have to put washers to shorten the steering turning radius?

This Jeep will just be a street machine for my wife and I to enjoy. Just want to make it look better or should I say a little more beefy looking LOL :)

It has the fender flares that appear to be fiberglass and match the paint of the jeep. If down the road I wanted to change them to the Black wide ones. Is that also possible?

I live in the country where the roads do not get plowed much when it snows. So I'm looking at adding a winch. Warn has been around for a long time and seems to be a great winch. I see Quadratec has some pretty price friendly winches on there site. I figured? since I don't off road a 8000 lb winch would be plenty big since these jeeps are so light ? Any recommendations on the type and size? I also seen Rock Hard 4x4 offers a Winch mounting plate that will work on my stock bumper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
31's will fit no problem... I think those will actually be smaller than your current tires, which look like 32's. You should be able to go up to 33's without issue on a stock JK. Anything bigger than that and you'll likely need a lift, wheel spacers, or fenders that provide more clearance. Swapping fenders is pretty easy, you can probably find an install video on youtube for any pair that you like.

And an 8000 lb winch should work fine for your purpose. The rule I've seen is 1.5x your vehicles GVWR. You can always get a snatch block (a pulley, basically)too to double your pulling power, if you feel you needed it. Note that your maximum wire/rope length will be halved with a snatch block. Any reputable brand (anything from quadratec...) will be fine.

Have fun with the Jeep!

·
Registered
489 Posts
A 31x10.5 will be smaller than what you have.

A 33x12.50 will fit with no lift or modifications as long as the backspacing on your wheels is correct.

15" wheels and 33x12.50r15s might be the way to go, it will be cheaper and the ride will be better since the 16" and 17" sizes tend to be D and E load rated.

"Black wide" fenders that you might like are bushwacker pocket flares, they have 2" of extra coverage, which would fully cover a 12.50 tire on a wheel with 3.5" of backspace. Bushwacker 11.75" Width Pocket Style Fender Flares in OEM Style Matte Black Finish for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

I like the warn m8000 winch, it's made in the US and it's a warn.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
First... Congrats on the new Jeep and welcome to the forum!:thumb:

I believe you will find that your Sahara has tires on it currently that are roughly 32" tall so take a quick measurement before you buy anything. Your Jeep should without any lift or modification fit a 33 X 12.5 tire mounted on an aftermarket wheel with 4.5" back spacing or the stock wheel with a 1.5" spacer. A popular choice is a 17 x 9 rim with a -12 offset (4.5" backspacing) with a 12.5 in wide tire. A 33 is a good tire that doesn't dramatically change anything on the Jeep and require too much additional work to support.
You mention changing out your flares. if you went with a flat style fender flare this will dramatically open up the wheel well and allow for a 35 x 12.5 to be run with no lift. But this is where the additional work begins to support tire size. A 35" tire will unfortunately be a bit of a dog without a gearing swap. You will want to reprogram the ECU with a Procal or Flashcal tuner to get your speedo corrected and your transmission (I'm guessing auto) shift points back in line. The weight and overall size of the tire puts more stress on the front end and will wear out parts like your ball joints faster. You will also notice slightly decreased braking performance as well. But if this is just a daily driver and not spending any time off road then the additional wear won't be too significant. If you are going off road then I suggest (with a 33 or 35" tire) that you look into some Synergy ball joints and a set of C gussets to shore up the weak point of the Dana 30 front differential. I don't consider a cruise down the beach off road.
So I am realizing that I'm running away here with info... Don't let me confuse you. There are a ton of Jeeps in this forum that have no lift and 33" tires. It is an improvement in looks over stock with the slightly wider stance and wider more aggressive tires without any big negative effects to the Jeep that you would run into with bigger tires. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, I'm think Im going to go with 33x12.5 BF Goodrich tires then like you said. Not sure if I should go with the all terrain or the mud. So let me make sure I understand, 17x9 wheel with 4.5 backspacing and a -12 offset with 33x12.5 tires, no mods required to the jeep

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the mickey Thompson classic III 15X8 wheel says 3.625 back spacing with a -22 offset. So they would require a 1" spacer Correct? Would I also have to change to longer lug bolts?

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
the mickey Thompson classic III 15X8 wheel says 3.625 back spacing with a -22 offset. So they would require a 1" spacer Correct? Would I also have to change to longer lug bolts?
Someone may have to chime in here but you may run into brake and tie rod clearance issues with a 15" rim on a JK. The pic is of my JK with a 17 x 9 with a -12 offset.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another question I have? I have noticed a slight kinda popping noise coming from the steering. Its not loud but I notice it when sitting and turning the wheel back and forth just a little bit. Also hear of feel it just a little when driving and turning. Its not bad or loud, but just was a little concerned. I just noticed this the other day, on my second time out with this jeep. There are so many parts to this steering, so I wanted to know if any of you ever had this and what it was

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Oh so 15" rims might not work on a 2010 JK or cause me clearance problems
I'm not 100% sure but I know the clearance I have and it would be VERY tight if it worked at all. I have a Teraflex big brake kit on the front of my Jeep (not in the pic) and there is no way that would come close to fitting a 15" rim but I would be concerned about the stock brake caliper mounting position as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Another question I have? I have noticed a slight kinda popping noise coming from the steering. Its not loud but I notice it when sitting and turning the wheel back and forth just a little bit. Also hear of feel it just a little when driving and turning. Its not bad or loud, but just was a little concerned. I just noticed this the other day, on my second time out with this jeep. There are so many parts to this steering, so I wanted to know if any of you ever had this and what it was
Mine is solid and no noise but in fairness it is all aftermarket. I don't remember any noise when it was stock though. I suggest you have it looked at because any play in the front end of these wranglers can lead to the dreaded DEATH WOBBLE! Yes, that was all caps and an exclamation point for dramatic effect but all joking aside, death wobble is no joke. Just ask anyone who has experienced it. They now keep a clean pair of boxers in the glove box just in case it happens again. Videos on you tube. Look it up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
thanks guys, I'm think Im going to go with 33x12.5 BF Goodrich tires then like you said. Not sure if I should go with the all terrain or the mud. So let me make sure I understand, 17x9 wheel with 4.5 backspacing and a -12 offset with 33x12.5 tires, no mods required to the jeep
Both wheels will fit with no modifications. 15" wheels will fit as long as they have 3.75" backspacing or less (numerically) which the mickey thompsons do. Here is a jeep with 15" mickey thompson style wheels and 33x12.50r15 goodyear duratracs:

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have a 2010 jeep wrangler (islander edition). I went with the BFG KO2 285/75/16. I had to replace the wheels with 16 XD's that had a offset to make it work. Here is the before and after picture. These tires ride so much better then the stock BFG 255/70/17 that I originally had on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I called discount tire, Morris 4x4, 4WD, AND Quadratec and they all said 15" wheels will rub the brake caliber

1 - 20 of 21 Posts