Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on lift laws but can't find much on tire coverage laws so I figured I would try here. Is it legal to have the tire sticking out past the fenders and by how much? Also, how strict are they with enforcing these laws? Thanks.

Edit: Are mud flaps required?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Found this:

266:57 Flaps; Guards. – Every vehicle operated in or upon any way, when not equipped with proper fenders to prevent the throw, spray, or splash of water, dirt, or other matter, shall be equipped with suitable fender guards or flaps which shall effectively reduce the throw, spray or splash likely to be emitted from any wheel or tire. Said flaps or guards required shall be of a type and size prescribed and approved by the director.
Section 266:57 Flaps; Guards.

That's the closest thing they have listed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
They only enforce the coverage law when you get your Jeep inspected every year. The tread on your tires must be covered by flares, or they will fail you. I used to just run skinny snow tires to inspection and then swap them out after I got my sticker. I haven't had a problem yet, and Ive seen some crazy rigs up here with stickers, so I assume its a pretty regular thing to do. As long as you have your sticker, the cops seem to not care.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh, and there is something about bumper height. Not related to tire coverage, but its one more thing they are pretty anal about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts