Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My 32nd birthday is Tuesday, and I'm buying myself a brand new Jeep for it :p I am looking at this Rubicon:

Aberdeen, SD 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon New SUV Watertown, SD Fargo, ND Aberdeen Chrysler Center | 43022 | 1C4BJWFG2EL279891

Now, my local dealership is running their employee pricing special . . The window sticker on this says $38,375 but their employee pricing only brought it to around $37-something, forgot what it said. On other models, employee pricing brought it down to just below the base MSRP for it . . Is there a reason this one's discount isn't much (The others . . it's a good $3k). What kind of negotiating room do I have on it? I know there is a $500 military incentive and I am a veteran so I plan to use that . . but otherwise not sure how to negotiate on the price. Someone help this lost lady out :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got mine for 8-9% below MSRP. MSRP was 31,775 I paid 29,200. Or 3-4% below invoice my invoice was about 30,200 , I paid 29,200. I basically went in told them I would pay $1000 below invoice and it was a done deal.

So maybe 35,305...? Ask to see the invoice and work from there. Also KBB.com has an MSRP/Invoice calculator and a what people are actually paying meter. Plug the Rubicon & all options into the calc and it will give you the invoice/MSRP and what people are paying.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LJ! If anyone else wants to comment on what they paid . . I'd appreciate it. I most definitely do not NEED a rubicon but I want one . . love those off road tires.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just ordered a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited a couple of week ago and the sticker was exactly $43,000. With Affiliate Rewards and Lease Conquest incentives, I ended up at roughly $38.5 (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head). Basically about 10.5% below MSRP.

Good luck and have fun negotiating!
ERAU

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of people immediately put aftermarket wheels and tires on their jeeps and then sell the brand new originals for a lot less than they cost at the dealership. Another more economical option for you could be to buy a Sport model and pick up a set of Rubicon takeoffs. There have been some brand new Rubicon sets selling for around $1,200 - 1,500. There are also many, many aftermarket wheel/tire combos that will give you a similar look. Check out some of the pics on the forum. Some really cool looking jeeps out there.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy it and happy birthday!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey.....Happy Birthday !!!
Now don't be offended, but I think that the dealership is trying to take advantage of the fact that you're a woman. Show them up.......tell them what you're willing to pay, and if they don't come close, then walk away, telling them that you'll go elsewhere.
The more expensive the vehicle, the more they have room to discount it. They can do better.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
:welcome: We need MORE lady jeepers here! :) Check out these posts that I wrote about getting a good price: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/planning-to-buy-a-jeep-in-he-next-couple-months-630866.html#post9669194 Good luck! Feel free to PM if you need more help! :thumb:
This. Check out Star's thread and get your best price by contacting multiple dealers.

If you don't need the Rubicon and want to save some coin, the Willys is a good deal, especially if you want Rubicon tires/wheels.

Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Price the jeep out on truecar.com it will give you msrp, invoice and below invoice prices that people paid. Thats what i used as a starting point when i was pricing out my jeep. No need to pay full price when you can pay almost 10 percent less off msrp.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey.....Happy Birthday !!!
Now don't be offended, but I think that the dealership is trying to take advantage of the fact that you're a woman. Show them up.......tell them what you're willing to pay, and if they don't come close, then walk away, telling them that you'll go elsewhere.
The more expensive the vehicle, the more they have room to discount it. They can do better.
This.

I have two rules when buying a car:

1) Walk into the dealer with the confidence that you are going to but a car. Meaning, if they get to your price, you will sign. This confidence, in my opinion, let's the dealer know you aren't wasting their time.

2) Walk away if they don't and make sure the dealer knows this. I called about 6 dealers before locking one in.

A few other things that have always helped me are:

- Work with the sales manager, cut out the middle folks.

- Try not to be the first one to put a number on the table. Tell them you expect a number that is worth your time and one that will get you to sign. This way you don't shoot yourself in the foot if you said 1% below invoice and they were ready to offer 2%below.

- If you can, go into the dealer on the last day of the month, in the afternoon. Most likely, they have a sales number they'd like to hit or exceed. Might be slightly more willing to deal to close the sale.

Just as an example, I spent less than 5 minutes on the phone with the sales manager at a nearby dealer and at the end of the call, we had a handshake agreement for a special order vehicle and price. It was roughly 10.5% below MSRP. I drove up later that afternoon and signed the Purchase Agreement and put down my deposit. Simple and to the point.

Good luck and hopefully we hear some good news regarding your new Jeep!!

-ERAU

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
It was roughly 10.5% below invoice. I drove up later that afternoon and signed the Purchase Agreement and put down my deposit. Simple and to the point.
Damn! And people were telling me I was crazy when I said I got 5% +$100 below invoice!

10.5% below INVOICE? Or 10.5% below MSRP? Now THAT I've seen before.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn! And people were telling me I was crazy when I said I got 5% +$100 below invoice!

10.5% below INVOICE? Or 10.5% below MSRP? Now THAT I've seen before.
Whoops, meant 10.5% below MSRP. (corrected original post)

I think the number was about 3.5-4% below invoice.

Nicely done on yours! You win! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys are awesome! Anyone want to come help me negotiate?! Haha! I like the idea of maybe just getting a sport and putting Rubicon tires on it . . or some other giant mudding tires. I don't necessarily need the 4 doors.

I'm coming from a Nissan Juke which I have a cheap car note and insurance on and gas is pretty cheap . . Anyone want to give me an idea of what the shock of cost of ownership on this thing will be? I love it so, we took a selfie today:

·
Registered
129 Posts
You guys are awesome! Anyone want to come help me negotiate?! Haha! I like the idea of maybe just getting a sport and putting Rubicon tires on it . . or some other giant mudding tires. I don't necessarily need the 4 doors. I'm coming from a Nissan Juke which I have a cheap car note and insurance on and gas is pretty cheap . . Anyone want to give me an idea of what the shock of cost of ownership on this thing will be? I love it so, we took a selfie today: http://postimg.cc/image/uyyuaehyn/
the cost of owning the actual vehicle isn't much, well except for the fact that it drinks gas. It's the mods you do to it that are expensive. I will end up spending about 4500 on wheels and lift. Then some more on an audio system and other little things, that's the expensive part. They hold their value really well though. I personally didn't get a rubicon because I don't think it's worth the price. I don't need all of the creature comforts that it comes with because I will end up changing a lot of them anyway. I would rather save my money and put it into other things... Jeep things of course. I also knew that I would put different wheels. BTW LADY JEEPERS RULE!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks gapeach! If at all possible, I'd like to get some of this stuff financed with the vehicle . . the one I'm looking at has awesome tires and I think that's why it's marked up . . I love them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so I posted the wrong link . . I thought it was a Rubicon but went back out and it's actually a Sahara . . the MSRP is $35k but they are selling it for $37,600 because of the tires/rims and other things they put on it . . pictured here:

How would you guys go about negotiating a price on this? Over $2k in markup for the extra goodies . . he said it's a $40k vehicle normally with all the add-ons.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts