Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Jeep today. 2002 Wrangler with 135K miles. It is a surprise for my son. The vehicle needs lots of the normal maintenance work. Coolant flush, Tune up (runs smooth w/o any misses. just want to be sure it runs as efficient as possible), diff fluids, full brake job, etc.

This purchase will help me teach my son how to do all this type of work on his own vehicle. This is something I have wanted to teach him for awhile...he never had much interest. I think he will have a whole new thought about it now.

Sorry for the long wind intro.

I have a question about the coolant. I checked it and the oil before purchase to make sure of no cross contamination (cracked head or bad head gasket). The coolant is old and needs replacing. I could see that it had the Dex type in it and would like some input from those who have more fist hand experience. All of my previous cars have the normal "green" type. I want to flush the system and want to put what is deemed best for the jeep. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It sounds like you need the owners manual. It will tell you all the specifications for fluids and such. Google it. I see there are 2002 Wrangler manuals on Amazon and maybe even E-books. Good Luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Welcome! The factory manual will tell you to go with Mopar HOAT coolant and thats what I used when I did a flush and refill last year. I've heard most will work as long as you completely drain and flush the system, but I figured there must be a reason for the HOAT coolant.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! I found a owners manual online last night and saw the HOAT recommendation. Started making my list of all the stuff I need from the auto parts store. LOTS of maintenance to do this weekend. I figured if I started doing any of it I would do all of it.

I am estimating $250-300 at the auto parts store. It needs new tires to. Going to put some Yokohama Geolander AT/S on it. I have 2 sets on my 4x4 Tacoma and like them a lot! There is another $600. I bought the jeep from an individual and still have to pay sales tax / title transfer. That will be close to another $400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts