Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I've owned a 2012 jeep compass for 2 years now (first car) and have now gave that to my wife and bought a jeep wrangler 2006 tj X i6 4.0.
i just moved to colorado springs not to long ago and have owned this jeep for less then a month.
Can anyone tell me a good place to take my wife (for her first real off road experiance). it has a 6 inch lift with 33's on it. nothing else really. I dont have a ton of experiance off roading either but have always enjoyed it. it has always been my dream to make jeeping my hobby and now its coming true.

looking for any advice, things i can do to improve my jeep and my off road abilities, places in colorado springs to go off roading, and would like to go with anyone if they are willing to have a new new person tag along.

Thank you.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome aboard..
fill out your profile, so we can get a look at that jeep of yours.
Might want to get rid of a few inches of lift, so your not too tipsy. If we can't go over it, we go around it; better than laying it on its side :include:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome to the Springs and the Forum. You just missed a great Meet and Greet this past Sunday (60+ jeeps). Several of us get together and go jeeping so keep an eye out on this website and tag along. Would love to have you and your family join us.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Welcome aboard. Soon as the snow clears up a little I am sure we will have some beginner runs. I am taking a few people out on some easy learn to operate your rig runs soon as the snow clears up. Stay tuned and again welcome to the jeep life.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
We need more people in the metro area lol. But welcome to CO and can't wait to make some trail runs with you. Everyone here is more than excellent when helping new people maneuver the trails. Heck, I even learned something new last time I was in the Springs with Sinister6 and TheHulk.

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
Welcome from up the hill ;) That's Woodland Park by the way.

Lots of available trails up here from beginner on up. Only problem is we just had a foot of snow dumped on us so things will be quiet for a few weeks.

Watch for Wanderlust's newbie runs, that will be a good place to start. I may even come if I can find some bald 30's, if for no other reason than to give Danny some of the shit that's long overdue ;)

I agree with Fool Spool, that's way too much lift for 33's, even 35's. Drop your spring lift to 4 inches and you should be fine. If you're lucky the PO might have added pucks to 4 inch springs and then you just need to pop the pucks.

Anyway, Welcome to the Monkey House :)

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
Uh, I just looked at the picture in your initial post and if those tires are 33's you do not have six inches of lift, more likely two or three. Which is fine, it will work well until you decide where you're heading in offroading :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i bought it i was told it had a 6 inch lift. completly unsure of how hight the lift really is.
how can i tell.
thank you everyone so much for your great comments and input. i can't wait to get out there and have some fun

·
Registered
673 Posts
Uh, I just looked at the picture in your initial post and if those tires are 33's you do not have six inches of lift, more likely two or three. Which is fine, it will work well until you decide where you're heading in offroading :)
Yeah, i didn't think there was 6 inches there. the wife said "that aint six inches, and she knows six inches .. lol

Heres 3.5" on 33s, and no pucks

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
when i bought it i was told it had a 6 inch lift. completly unsure of how hight the lift really is. how can i tell.
You need to take some measurements. First, take a look at the tops of your springs. If there is a thick spacer on top of the springs then measure the thickness of the spacer. That will give you the approximate lift.

If there is no spacer like that you have a spring lift which is better. Verify that you have 33 inch tires by reading the size information on the sidewall of the tires. Then measure the height of the frame from the ground to the bottom of the frame. Measure this at the inside of the link mounts, front and rear. We can compare that to a known lift of similar size or I can extrapolate it for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
besides figuring out what lift i have, what are other cheap (for now) things i can do to improve my jeeps off road abilities and its looks to make it look like it can off road as well (my wife loves the mean off road jeep look)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to WF. This is a great site to meet people that are like minded. There are a lot of people on here with real skill behind them and good advice. Your Jeep is off to a good start. Hopeful everything was put together well.
A winch is functional and looks good, D-Rings are inexpensive and when you need them, everyone is happy you have them, rock sliders, oh and don’t forget a High Lift Jack. You have a nice rear axle .:angel: Cheap what is cheap? Let the mods begin. Good luck with that. Life will never be the same.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
First of all welcome .....:welcome:
without seeing it in person it looks like there is a 4" lift on there to me. it also looks like the belly skid does not have a drop on it which would indicate a n SYE conversion on the T case output shaft. also there is no Body Lift on there.
Looks like a great start to an awesome rig!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome to the madness!
One of things that I was told when I first got my Jeep was learn what it can do before you start doing tons of mods to it. I started out running trails with these guys stock and added as we went.
You'll hear it on trail runs every time: "The trail will dictate your next upgrade."

1 - 20 of 52 Posts