Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had powder coat not make it through a single winter before the powder coat started flaking off and rust showing underneath?

I mean these rails haven't even seen a boulder yet. They do see my girlfriends heels getting in and out but geese she is like 110...

I called JCR and they told me they don't cover the powder coating but they sure didnt have a problem with me paying extra to have them done.

Should this be expected? from just salt and snow? I thought powder coating was pretty durable.

I am pretty disappointed as I own a 2015 and the only rust is on the rails that are like 6 months old rusting just after half a winter.

Am I being critical? like $600 critical?

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was just looking at my powder coated bumper and yes, flaking like crazy. Once you get a small chip it just falls off. Blast and paint them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's steel bro it'll happen. The hell with powdercoating I paint all my own stuff.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I love all my jcr parts but all of their Powdercoat has started to rust on my jeep. The rear bumper I have sitting in the garage already has surface rust on the inside of it and it's still new in the box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes all steel will eventually rust if exposed but the only explanation for this would be either damage to the coating or a bad prep job. I am guessing they did not prep it properly before powder coating. if you paid for them to coat it they should be willing to fix it...business must be so good they don't feel the need to provide good customer service.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
That's just flat out poor prep and subpar coating. Looks like they did not sand blast before coating. Real powder coating, with proper prep will not flake off but will chip or get gouged off. If you like the sliders have them done locally. JCR is not the only vendor on this forum cheaping out on powder coating.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes all steel will eventually rust if exposed but the only explanation for this would be either damage to the coating or a bad prep job. I am guessing they did not prep it properly before powder coating. if you paid for them to coat it they should be willing to fix it...business must be so good they don't feel the need to provide good customer service.
See thats my thoughts on all this. Or give my my $ back for the cost of the coating. If I knew they sucked at powder coating I would not have bought from them. Or just bought the bare metal and done it myself. I don't care If I would pay more I just want it done right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love all my jcr parts but all of their Powdercoat has started to rust on my jeep. The rear bumper I have sitting in the garage already has surface rust on the inside of it and it's still new in the box.
thats just wrong... The thing is I was happy to "Buy Merican" :/

I am going to talk with Ryan and see what he can do for me because its not right that people pay so much for this stuff and its not done right. I don't care if they are not the only company cheating out on powder coat either. Its expensive so do it right or don't offer it.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,675 Posts
I would contact your credit card company. There is no time limitations on purchases. Tell them you are having an issue with the warranty and the payment receiver is unwilling to cooperate. Have them reverse the charges.... then contact the shop you bought them from and tell them, you are happy to pay for the rails, but wont pay for the coating. And let them decide how to proceed. In addition, leave feedback here of your experience, with details (dates, who you spoke to, shop name, coater).

If they will send them out to have them done, then it is up to them to ensure they are done right.

In the mean while. pull them off and have them Rhino'd. Better traction for your girl in heels anyway!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Get some VHT Wrinkle Black paint and touch it up first.

I have all JCR steel on my Jeep. I live in Cleveland. It will rust. It is rusting. Almost all of it here and there has some rust. I will say my sliders are by far the worst.

Do I blame JCR? No, not really. They farm out the PC to a third party. If the PC company didn't prep it right, then it will fail. Even if they did, it will fail. Only the most expensive powder coating, with e-coating, or zinc coating, will last longer. But you will PAY for it. And a lot!

If I had bought them bare, and I painted them myself, would they have rusted? You bet your a$$ they would. I paid JCR for the PC because it saved me the hassle of painting them myself for the first time. I will likely remove all of the steel and send it out to be blasted and painted or powered coated sometime this year, before winter hits again.

I know JCR does not warranty the powder coat. I didn't pay all that much for it anyway. If you look at what it normally costs to have something powder coated, you probably got a really good deal.

Call JCR, see if they will work with you at all, if not, I wouldn't go calling your credit card company.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would contact your credit card company. There is no time limitations on purchases. Tell them you are having an issue with the warranty and the payment receiver is unwilling to cooperate. Have them reverse the charges.... then contact the shop you bought them from and tell them, you are happy to pay for the rails, but wont pay for the coating. And let them decide how to proceed. In addition, leave feedback here of your experience, with details (dates, who you spoke to, shop name, coater).

If they will send them out to have them done, then it is up to them to ensure they are done right.

In the mean while. pull them off and have them Rhino'd. Better traction for your girl in heels anyway!
lol! I may just do that: Rhino'd actually I wonder if that would be stronger? I am going to tell her I am getting them Rhino'd for her heels :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get some VHT Wrinkle Black paint and touch it up first.

I have all JCR steel on my Jeep. I live in Cleveland. It will rust. It is rusting. Almost all of it here and there has some rust. I will say my sliders are by far the worst.

Do I blame JCR? No, not really. They farm out the PC to a third party. If the PC company didn't prep it right, then it will fail. Even if they did, it will fail. Only the most expensive powder coating, with e-coating, or zinc coating, will last longer. But you will PAY for it. And a lot!

If I had bought them bare, and I painted them myself, would they have rusted? You bet your a$$ they would. I paid JCR for the PC because it saved me the hassle of painting them myself for the first time. I will likely remove all of the steel and send it out to be blasted and painted or powered coated sometime this year, before winter hits again.

I know JCR does not warranty the powder coat. I didn't pay all that much for it anyway. If you look at what it normally costs to have something powder coated, you probably got a really good deal.

Call JCR, see if they will work with you at all, if not, I wouldn't go calling your credit card company.
No I'm not going to call my CC company at all and yes things rust but from what I am seeing these are experiencing their first winter and I have not taken it off road even. Powder coating should withstand salt at least. If these were a few years old maybe? The other person on this post says his is new in the box and shows rust. That to me is just plain terrible. But I am not afraid to paint anything but its a shame that this is the second time this winter we got a warm day and I detail my new jeep to see rust. not on the body but on the $600 sliders that are still new. I will def not order parts powder coated if this seem the norm. You seem to think this is normal so maybe I am just picky I guess. I know if I were to charge someone something have the American made slogan on it, I expect it to be done right.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm not sure if I would say it's "normal" but I have come to accept it. Do I like it? No. Is it unsightly? Yes.

My sliders have more rust on the top than anywhere they have hit rocks. Honestly, I think it's because of snow and road salt sitting on top of it. All it has to do is find a small pinhole in the powder coat, and bam!

I've met the owners of JCR on several occasions. I can honestly say, they are stand up guys. I've talked to them about the powder coat, and I know they have gone through at least a couple powder coating companies because of quality issues.

And they certainly aren't the only ones selling powder coated products that have had quality issues with the coating. I've seen it on just about every manufacturer out there.

I figured, considering the cost, that I was going to get one or two winters out of them, and I'd just have them redone locally. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure if I would say it's "normal" but I have come to accept it. Do I like it? No. Is it unsightly? Yes.

My sliders have more rust on the top than anywhere they have hit rocks. Honestly, I think it's because of snow and road salt sitting on top of it. All it has to do is find a small pinhole in the powder coat, and bam!

I've met the owners of JCR on several occasions. I can honestly say, they are stand up guys. I've talked to them about the powder coat, and I know they have gone through at least a couple powder coating companies because of quality issues.

And they certainly aren't the only ones selling powder coated products that have had quality issues with the coating. I've seen it on just about every manufacturer out there.

I figured, considering the cost, that I was going to get one or two winters out of them, and I'd just have them redone locally. Lesson learned.
I saw this thread and i couldnt stand not responding, I know im a new guy and this is like my second post but i deal with powder coating on a daily basis...

The issue from the pictures posted is nothing less than lazy piss poor prep, Bottom line, Grease, oil or other contaminates were on the piece before it was coated. A properly coated anything could withstand the harsh salty road winters of any northern area if done properly.

If the Owners are such "stand up guys" they would warrant their products even if the powder was done by someone else. They dont because they find the cheapest sub and there cheap because they do sub par work.

With that being said, paying a "cheap" price is still paying with "good" money.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
if I new it would happen this soon i WOULD have just painted it myself. This is shit....
Live and learn. I use spray on bedliner on all of my stuff. Easy to do and easy to touch up with a rattle can.

Powder coating just does not work if you're banging against the rocks or if you were in a harsh northern climate, despite with the guy above me says. Maybe he's the best powder coater in the world but then he must be the only powder coater in the world that knows what he is doing because I have never seen anything else last that is powder coated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I saw this thread and i couldnt stand not responding, I know im a new guy and this is like my second post but i deal with powder coating on a daily basis...

The issue from the pictures posted is nothing less than lazy piss poor prep, Bottom line, Grease, oil or other contaminates were on the piece before it was coated. A properly coated anything could withstand the harsh salty road winters of any northern area if done properly.

If the Owners are such "stand up guys" they would warrant their products even if the powder was done by someone else. They dont because they find the cheapest sub and there cheap because they do sub par work.

With that being said, paying a "cheap" price is still paying with "good" money.
I am feeling the same. I dont mind touching them up but they look like they are going to take up alot of my time. They are new :/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if I new it would happen this soon i WOULD have just painted it myself. This is shit....
Live and learn. I use spray on bedliner on all of my stuff. Easy to do and easy to touch up with a rattle can.

Powder coating just does not work if you're banging against the rocks or if you were in a harsh northern climate, despite with the guy above me says. Maybe he's the best powder coater in the world but then he must be the only powder coater in the world that knows what he is doing because I have never seen anything else last that is powder coated.
They are new and haven't seen a rock :/. I will give the bed liner a go. I still dont think i got what i paid for if i am constantly touching up what i paid someone else to do. I mean i don't expect them to last years but this is their first winter. I have spoken to some car folks and they def say that they weren't done right. I like JCR products but don't like the coating. Just got the JCR rear mauler bumper. Powder coated before i saw my sliders failing. Hope it holds up.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Anyone ever had powder coat not make it through a single winter before the powder coat started flaking off and rust showing underneath?

I mean these rails haven't even seen a boulder yet. They do see my girlfriends heels getting in and out but geese she is like 110...

I called JCR and they told me they don't cover the powder coating but they sure didnt have a problem with me paying extra to have them done.

Should this be expected? from just salt and snow? I thought powder coating was pretty durable.

I am pretty disappointed as I own a 2015 and the only rust is on the rails that are like 6 months old rusting just after half a winter.

Am I being critical? like $600 critical?
I don't feel like you are being overly critical. Although I am not an expert when it comes to powder coat, the company that does the powder coat on my products is. He is small, but meticulous.

The key is PROPER preparation, quality powder, AND cure time at proper temperature (which depends on powder product, material type, and thickness). He charges me premium, but he's worth every penny.

Bottom line...after 6 months WHEREVER you live in this country, there absolutely should not be chunks of the finish coming off.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts