Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of various cars and SUV's I'm finally going the Jeep route :)

I'm looking at '12 or newer JKU's. Most are certified. I'm planning on upgrading wheels/tires, lift etc. so not too worried with the current equipment. Would like to do some moderate off-road stuff, but don't see any major rock crawling in the near future.

So I'm comparing too equally equipped JKU Sports. Basically a '12 vs. '13. '13 has a nicer color interior, a few less miles (5k) and hardtop. Same exterior color. The '12 has the 255/75/17's but again, plan on dumping those anyway for larger wheels/tires. I was planning on getting a hardtop if the one I found was a soft top, so that's a bonus. The only real difference is the '12 has the Anti-Slip rear differential. Should that even matter in the equation or would I end up replacing that anyway with an aftermarket? Research looks like it even wasn't that expensive of an option as new.

The '13 is within $500 of the asking price of the '12. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The only real difference is the '12 has the Anti-Slip rear differential. Should that even matter in the equation or would I end up replacing that anyway with an aftermarket? Research looks like it even wasn't that expensive of an option as new.
You get BLD (Brake Lock) for free. Kind of makes the LSD (your "Anti-Slip") a waste of money, IMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
878 Posts
You get BLD (Brake Lock) for free. Kind of makes the LSD (your "Anti-Slip") a waste of money, IMHO.
Is the BLD still activate when you have the ESC off for whatever reason?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
its active in all modes
It's not. BLD is only active in 4WD as per Chrysler. It's a separate part of the ESC system, which includes Traction Control. Traction Control is enabled in 2WD. This is additional info.

How do I use BLD?

The BLD feature is an automatic process and is active when in 4H or 4L modes. It is part of the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) / Traction Control systems.

To effectively use the BLD system the driver should slowly and gradually apply more throttle when they enter a situation where a wheel is slipping. This will allow the sensors to determine the need to apply the brake to the slipping wheels while at the same time generating the necessary power and torque to send to the wheels with traction.

Which models have it?

All Jeep Wranglers (JKs) have BLD. This includes: Sport, Sport S, Willys, Sahara, and Rubicon.

When in 4WD BLD remains active. Traction Control can be turned off or partial off.
The exception is with a Rubicon. When the lockers are engaged (4L) BLD is off. If the front or rear locker is engaged BLD continues to function for the axle that isn't locked.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's not. BLD is only active in 4WD as per Chrysler. It's a separate part of the ESC system, which includes Traction Control. Traction Control is enabled in 2WD. This is additional info.

How do I use BLD?

The BLD feature is an automatic process and is active when in 4H or 4L modes. It is part of the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) / Traction Control systems.

To effectively use the BLD system the driver should slowly and gradually apply more throttle when they enter a situation where a wheel is slipping. This will allow the sensors to determine the need to apply the brake to the slipping wheels while at the same time generating the necessary power and torque to send to the wheels with traction.

Which models have it?

All Jeep Wranglers (JKs) have BLD. This includes: Sport, Sport S, Willys, Sahara, and Rubicon.

When in 4WD BLD remains active. Traction Control can be turned off or partial off.
The exception is with a Rubicon. When the lockers are engaged (4L) BLD is off. If the front or rear locker is engaged BLD continues to function for the axle that isn't locked.
everything ive read says its always on

·
Registered
970 Posts

How do I use BLD?

Which models have it?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/brake-lock-differential-1550681.html

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
everything ive read says its always on
It's not and it can be confusing. Go through the posts on the BLD thread that you quoted which further explains BLD. Here is additional info from that thread: "People often mix/confuse BLD with "Traction Control". They are based on the same principal, but have different programming.

BLD is off-road specific.

·
Registered
665 Posts
BLD only spins the one wheel with the most traction, LSD spins both wheels. LSD is a bit better then BLD

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have you compared gear ratios? Since you plan on upgrading tires/wheels, that could be an important factor. Also if you ever plan on towing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts