Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**EDIT: Just realized this may be in the wrong forum... although we can look at the 'damage report' of the Jeep as 'Model Tech' .... sort of.... If its in the wrong area my apologies to the mods**

Cliff notes at the bottom for those that don't want to read the whole story.

So heading back to my house today on the highway and take an offramp that leads to an adjoining highway and this vehicle is right on my bumper (Nissan Maxima). Its raining lightly and the roads are wet...

Back when I was a rookie this used to pressure me to go quicker and then get sucked into the guy in front of me's bumper. I don't do that anymore- so I slowed down to give a safety pocket between me and the vehicle in front.

At this point its single lane traffic and fairly heavy.

The Nissan driver I think took this as a road rage invitation and went from half a car length behind me to right behind me.

I just left it not wanting an accident and maintained my course and speed.

Then before getting to the adjoining highway a second merge lane from another direction joins up and become a second merge lane (1 lane becomes 2 momentarily before they both end and you have to be on the highway).

The lady in the Nissan floors it as I'm speeding up to merge speed now that there was a safety pocket and when she pulls along side me, looks at me and then drives right into my lane.

I did what everyone does initially and banked over left and then applied brakes but I could only go so far left (edge of roadway) and the Jeep only stops so fast.

The Nissan ended up making contact with the front edge of my bumper, sucked my vehicle in slightly and because she was going faster than I was (overtaking/speeding) her vehicle spun in front of mine and smoked the median on the highway as it crossed my bow (yeah we made it to the highway.... just).

As I was going slower my vehicle ended up doing the death wobble and I got it to the side of the road without further contact with anything.

The good news is I only have a small dent in my bumper and no one was hurt.

People are crazy... She looked pissed and I just let the attending police officer facilitate the information exchange... I am still left unsure why someone would intentionally cause a collision no matter how angry (and it wasn't my intention to make anyone angry). I am just happy my son wasn't in the vehicle at the time and that it was just me.

The crash report is also astoundingly good for the Jeep.... Minor dent in the bumper- that's it. Alignment doesn't even seem to be out.

The full sized Nissan Maxima? Between the contact with the Jeep and doing a header into the median its a write off with the airbag deployed.

I'm still shaking my head... apparently she had cat makeup on (from the emergency personnel that talked to her) and appeared crazy.

I didn't talk with her at all and don't care to, but am still shaking my head over such a pointless and intentional action. Do people think about if there are kids in the car? Or even if they'll get hurt (ie what was she thinking crashing into a Wrangler????)....

In the end I am glad that this didn't happen in my BMW because for sure the front end would have been torn off and the vehicle as a result most likely written off from the impact (which was pretty hard). I would have been pissed. As it is, she will be found 100% at fault (there are witnesses) so her premiums will go up, her car is definitely a write off and she has a headache from the airbag....

I'm not sure what people are thinking.

CLIFFS:

-Woman in Nissan Maxima intentionally entered my lane with the intent to either hit me or run me off the roadway because she was aggressive and raging.

-Collision occurred and Jeep has minor dent and Maxima written off.

-Everyone is ok.

-Glad I was in the Jeep with almost zero damage as opposed to a different vehicle.

-Confused as to how other people play the 'good idea/bad idea' game in their heads.

·
Registered
999 Posts
jimi g said:
**EDIT: Just realized this may be in the wrong forum... although we can look at the 'damage report' of the Jeep as 'Model Tech' .... sort of.... If its in the wrong area my apologies to the mods**

So heading back to my house today on the highway and take an offramp that leads to an adjoining highway and this vehicle is right on my bumper (Nissan Maxima). Its raining lightly and the roads are wet...

Back when I was a rookie this used to pressure me to go quicker and then get sucked into the guy in front of me's bumper. I don't do that anymore- so I slowed down to give a safety pocket between me and the vehicle in front.

The Nissan driver I think took this as a road rage invitation and went from half a car length behind me to right behind me.

Then before getting to the adjoining highway a second merge lane from another direction joins up and become a second merge lane (1 lane becomes 2 momentarily before they both end and you have to be on the highway).

The lady in the Nissan floors it as I'm speeding up to merge speed now that there was a safety pocket and when she pulls along side me, looks at me and then drives right into my lane.

I did what everyone does initially and banked over left and then applied brakes but I could only go so far left (edge of roadway) and the Jeep only stops so fast.

The Nissan ended up making contact with the front edge of my bumper, sucked my vehicle in slightly and because she was going faster than I was (overtaking/speeding) her vehicle spun in front of mine and smoked the median on the highway as it crossed my bow (yeah we made it to the highway.... just).

As I was going slower my vehicle ended up doing the death wobble and I got it to the side of the road without further contact with anything.

People are crazy... She looked pissed and I just let the attending police officer facilitate the information exchange... I am still left unsure why someone would intentionally cause a collision no matter how angry (and it wasn't my intention to make anyone angry). I am just happy my son wasn't in the vehicle at the time and that it was just me.

The crash report is also astoundingly good for the Jeep.... Minor dent in the bumper- that's it. Alignment doesn't even seem to be out.

The full sized Nissan Maxima? Between the contact with the Jeep and doing a header into the median its a write off with the airbag deployed.

I'm still shaking my head... apparently she had cat makeup on (from the emergency personnel that talked to her) and appeared crazy.

I didn't talk with her at all and don't care to, but am still shaking my head over such a pointless and intentional action. Do people think about if there are kids in the car? Or even if they'll get hurt (ie what was she thinking crashing into a Wrangler????)....

In the end I am glad that this didn't happen in my BMW because for sure the front end would have been torn off and the vehicle as a result most likely written off from the impact (which was pretty hard). I would have been pissed. As it is, she will be found 100% at fault (there are witnesses) so her premiums will go up, her car is definitely a write off and she has a headache from the airbag....

CLIFFS:

-Woman in Nissan Maxima intentionally entered my lane with the intent to either hit me or run me off the roadway because she was aggressive and raging.

-Everyone is ok.

-Glad I was in the Jeep with almost zero damage as opposed to a different vehicle.

-Confused as to how other people play the 'good idea/bad idea' game in their heads.
Some people are crazy. It makes it seem like getting your license is TOO easy! Glad nobody was hurt though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Some people are so petty when it comes to merging lanes. I have one near my house I drive through everyday and I cannot even count how many times people try to run me off the road to get ONE car lane ahead. Glad you didn't get hurt and props to you for not cursing out the idiot.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Glad YOUR okay. I see this type of thing all the time living in SoCal where people pull guns to scare you. People get road rage bad here. I ignore them as much as possible, but when they intentionally hit you that's attempted manslaughter with a vehicle. A 2 ton vehicle is no different than a gun, knife, or other deadly weapon.
I keep my M&P .40 with me at all times. You never now when it's your day and your number is up. You handled it very well, I would press charges.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's an interesting perspective and I agree it is attempted manslaughter. I wish this wasn't Canada land of the lets be nice to criminals. I thought about it... If my son was in the car and hurt this would have been a different post.

This country is frustrating.., I don't think she even got a ticket. I'm happy though that there are still places in the world that see things 20/20 and not in the Canadian ultra liberal hue.

At the end of the day I am glad no one was hurt but you're right there should be charges... That's up to the Cst to decide if there is grounds but unfortunately here bc no one was hurt its an insurance matter only.

God bless America.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
So lemme make sure I understand correctly...

You were driving along and this woman was behind you. Two lanes were merging and she decided to floor it, TRYING to pass you. Then, she saw she couldn't pass so she just swerved into your lane to intentionally run you off the road so she could be in front of you?

I'm not saying it didn't happen because there are a lot of jackasses out there, but this just sounds...like "WTF?"

·
Registered
694 Posts
So lemme make sure I understand correctly...

You were driving along and this woman was behind you. Two lanes were merging and she decided to floor it, TRYING to pass you. Then, she saw she couldn't pass so she just swerved into your lane to intentionally run you off the road so she could be in front of you?

I'm not saying it didn't happen because there are a lot of jackasses out there, but this just sounds...like "WTF?"

This exact thing happened to me 4 days ago. 2 lanes merged into one and I was holding my lane at 55mph. Right as there was no more room to merge a very old lady flies up next to me in a Camry and forces me into the shoulder hitting my brakes hard. She came right over and I swerved very hard. There was a pedestrian walking the shoulder and he saw me swerve and jumped off the road. She was on a total collision path. Missed me by inches. I ran up behind her and noticed she was so old she didnt even know what she had done. When I was laying on my horn, she didnt even flinch. Fricken old people.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
This exact thing happened to me 4 days ago. 2 lanes merged into one and I was holding my lane at 55mph. Right as there was no more room to merge a very old lady flies up next to me in a Camry and forces me into the shoulder hitting my brakes hard. She came right over and I swerved very hard. There was a pedestrian walking the shoulder and he saw me swerve and jumped off the road. She was on a total collision path. Missed me by inches. I ran up behind her and noticed she was so old she didnt even know what she had done. When I was laying on my horn, she didnt even flinch. Fricken old people.
I've been tossing around the idea of installing a train horn...seriously.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It started w her tailgating. Me slowing down to create a safety pocket and lessen the chance of an mvi w her prompted her to get angry and tuck in even more and then when one lane turned to two before it turned to four ... Ya she crashed into me or tried to run me off the road on purpose. This evidenced by her flooring it to get beside me.... Looking at me and then braking while moving into my lane directly beside/ sort of slightly ahead of me and ultimately colliding w me.

Does it make sense? No. It doesn't. But it happened.

There was no one in front of me bc I had created a safety pocket by slowing down. If she wanted to pass she could have an could have safely. She didn't want to pass.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
It started w her tailgating. Me slowing down to create a safety pocket and lessen the chance of an mvi w her prompted her to get angry and tuck in even more and then when one lane turned to two before it turned to four ... Ya she crashed into me or tried to run me off the road on purpose. This evidenced by her flooring it to get beside me.... Looking at me and then braking while moving into my lane directly beside/ sort of slightly ahead of me and ultimately colliding w me.

Does it make sense? No. It doesn't. But it happened.
I never questioned whether it made sense, I wanted to make sure I had the story straight. People do dumb shit. I've been in that sort of situation before and I just stay my course. I've had people try to do that dumb shit before. I'll look straight at them and just shake my head, "I don't think so..." leaving the road could be more dangerous than having someone run into the side of you. She would have been forced to brake and swing back in behind you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fair enough... I still don't get it. Ppl are crazy I guess.

Anyway the upshot of the post is that I am shocked and happily surprised at how tough the jeep is.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Fair enough... I still don't get it. Ppl are crazy I guess.

Anyway the upshot of the post is that I am shocked and happily surprised at how tough the jeep is.
Yeah, they're tough vehicles, and some people are idiots...

BTW, try a train horn. Like the other guy said, hornblasters.com. :D

I've been tossing around the idea of a train horn for a while, strictly for all those idiots who can't stay in their own lanes, dialing cellphones, sending texts, reading the paper, doing their makeup, and well...you get the idea.

·
Registered
876 Posts

CLIFFS:

-Everyone is ok.

Call Mommy, or if it's real bad call "Papa"!

Bob Seger "Come To Papa" - YouTube

50 Something

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Glad your ok mate. : )
X2

You're gonna be a fricken old person some day. :D

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Honestly, I doubt she was trying to hit you. Who would try to hurt someone else in a bigger vehicle? That's stupid an idiotic. I'm sure she was pissed off at you slowing down, and went to cut you off. She was braking while getting into the lane probably because 1she was going over the speed limit, or 2 she wanted to avoid the car in front of her. No one in their right mind would hit hit someone else, that's like asking to get killed.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That sucks. Glad that you and the Jeep are alright. That's the thing about driving, you might be doing everything right, but any crazy person on the road can involve you in an accident, etc. It's a dangerous place out there, that's why I drive a Jeep :thumb:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm not in her head but there was no car in front....

Horn sounds like a good idea although I don't think it would have mattered in this case she was fairly intent I think.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts