Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First time Jeep owner here, and I just recently picked up an 01' TJ Sahara with 71K miles. I picked it up from an estate sale from the original owners, but unfortunately I can't ask the PO any questions.

It has some sort of unknow lift, maybe 3" by the looks of it. It has aftermaret front lower control arms, that are not adjustable, and Currie antirock.

It has some bumpsteer issues, so I started reading and digging around under the jeep. My first thing I think I found was what appears to be some sort of drop bracket on the passenger side of the track bar. I also see some side to side deflection in the track bar bushing.

Can anyone tell me if this looks like a drop bracket or something else?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
That track bar bracket definitely dosent look stock but I can’t think of any reason someone would put something like that on. The point of track bar relocation brackets are usually to make the track bar sit straight at rest to reduce bump steer and to do that you would either drop the frame side bracket on the driver side or raise the axle side bracket but lowering the axle side seems like it would put the track bar at a steeper and make the bumpsteer worse. Also if the bushing has excessive play in it that can cause death wobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't think of a reason either, I think I'm going to order an adjustable track bar, and take this thing off, where does my steering stabilizer mount normally, because this bracket also incorporates the stabilizer mount on the top.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't think of a reason either, I think I'm going to order an adjustable track bar, and take this thing off, where does my steering stabilizer mount normally, because this bracket also incorporates the stabilizer mount on the top.

Here’s mine the track bar is on bottom and the stabilizer is on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ
Love Cave Creek, I have some good friends who live there and it's one of the areas on the top of my wife and I's area to retire to in a few years.

Now, to figure out which Track bar to buy?? I'm leaning towards the JKS after doing some research. I'm having trouble trying to justify the expense of the Currie/Rockjock one...

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
JKS makes a solid track bar. hows the pitman arm and frame side track bar mount look?

a lot of companies put out some very questionable items that were to prevent issues that were common on older, leaf sprung, jeeps. the thing is, they werent an issue on linked jeeps but these companies never did the R&D to figure it out. some still sell products that are poorly designed even after TJ's have been around for more than 2 decades. some companies make more money from marketing than R&D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKS makes a solid track bar. hows the pitman arm and frame side track bar mount look?

a lot of companies put out some very questionable items that were to prevent issues that were common on older, leaf sprung, jeeps. the thing is, they werent an issue on linked jeeps but these companies never did the R&D to figure it out. some still sell products that are poorly designed even after TJ's have been around for more than 2 decades. some companies make more money from marketing than R&D
They appear to be stock.

I was able to figure out what this little bracket is on the axle side of the track bar, it's some sort of Chinese/Amazon $20 relocation bracket to re-center the front end.

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
7,003 Posts
The pitman looks stock and the frame side track bar mount is also stock so that's good. Just get rid of the bracket on the other side.

Best way to tell amount of lift, measure between the upper and lower spring perch. Front is 12", rear is 8" factory.
Anything above that is lift.

Does not factor in body lift if any. (Doesn't look like it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply, I got my JKS track bar in last night, so I'm going to be installing it today, looks fairly straight forward. I'll measure my springs while I'm under there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts