Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Jeep…but what color?

Okay I finally decided to order a new jeep, currently have a silver JKUR, will be getting another JKUR, but stuck on color. I wish they had a deeper red. Right now I'm between Granite Crystal Metallic and Firecracker Red. Gobi would be in the running too, but wife said no.

I like the Granite Crystal Metallic a lot, my only reservation is that it is a dark color so it will almost ultimately look dirty all the time and with it being a darker color it will probably show swirls, scratches, etc more easily.

Any input or insight would be appreciated, not interested in convincing of a different color.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Jeep…but what color?

Here are two examples of the colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
Colors are so personal...

I don't like metallic colors on a Jeep so it would be Firecracker Red for me...

Or Gobi, definitely Gobi over the other 2. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Granite looks "classy", red looks "bold". I debated on several colors before deciding to go with Firecracker Red. It's a Jeep. It's bold, not classy.

I've never owned a red anything, but so glad I got it in red. I wouldn't trade it for any other color. But hey, to each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you will be the beholder.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I went with Firecracker Red and haven't looked back. Probably would have gone with a blue or green had they been available.

Gobi looks better in pictures than in real life imho.

I like colors that allow the black trim to pop so the darker colors, not so much. Plus, my former JK was black with tinted windows, which looked great when it was clean but showed a lot of paint swirls. So I knew I wasn't going black again.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
You're right about darker colors, but I've had two vehicles in Grante Chrystal. It's probably not as bad as you think. I don't find it as bad as black or maybe midnight blue.

I'd tell you that if you want a color that's very deep, has many different looks depending on the lighting, and REALLY pops in the bright sunshine, then GCM is for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I like the Granite Crystal Metallic a lot, my only reservation is that it is a dark color so it will almost ultimately look dirty all the time and with it being a darker color it will probably show swirls, scratches, etc more easily.
It seems these things are easily treatable.

Looks dirty....wash it.

Shows swirls, scratches....wax it.

I dunno, those things have always worked for me and has never determined me from getting a color I liked.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just bought one. My choices were Rhino and Granite. I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a Rhino and love the color. But I would have been perfectly fine with Granite too. I don't like red on Jeeps at all but lots of ppl do. Get what you really want and deal with the little quirks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Of your two choices - Granite. Its different enough you will still automatically be "personalized" without the red SCREAMING Look At MEEEEEE!!! Thats how Ive always seen red vehicles.

This coming from a VERY happy Hydro Blue owner who wanted blue because it stuck out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i have firecracker red now and love it.... I'm building a Recon right now and decided to go Gobi. it was a tough decision. actually ordered firecracker first then changed it the next day to gobi.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I went with the GCM as it was one of the few colors available when I last went Jeep shopping in late '16 that I felt I could live with long term (and pickings were slim in December as the '17s hadn't made it this far north at that time). I also liked the Hard Rock in white, but Mrs. basic vetoed that choice as we had two white vehicles for 14 of the last 17 years. There was silver available also, and I could have lived with that.

I have owned a bright red vehicle since '82, and though it needs some serious restoration before it will ever see the road again, that car was really good at attracting the attention of law enforcement and I received more tickets in that car than any other I've owned since- sometimes when going the exact same speed as everyone else on the road. Some colors are more stealthy and less likely to attract that kind of attention, but that may or may not factor into your color choice depending on how and where you drive...some people don't want to blend in with the flock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right about darker colors, but I've had two vehicles in Grante Chrystal. It's probably not as bad as you think. I don't find it as bad as black or maybe midnight blue.

I'd tell you that if you want a color that's very deep, has many different looks depending on the lighting, and REALLY pops in the bright sunshine, then GCM is for you.

Thanks, I'm worried it would as bad as black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a GCM jeep and it doesn't show scratches too bad. That being said if you try to touch it up it is easy to make it worse. Tank was my first choice but it wasn't available when I ordered my jeep. I also really like anvil.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I consider a wrangler a toy vehicle so I prefer fun colors. I'd say red but if you aren't a fan of standing out go with GCM.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Also, it doesn't show dirt as bad as you would think. The wheels and bumpers show dirt much faster.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
FWIW (...and I'm not referring to Buffalo Springfield :) ) I love my Firecracker Red. It rained here in Savannah yesterday and I noticed something I've noticed before....this thing almost glows neon red with that deep gray-blue kind of sky that comes just before and after a thunderstorm.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
If you decide to order a Recon, I would look hard at the Granite. To me, it works best with the decals.

JB

1 - 20 of 54 Posts