Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I just bought a brand new jeep (less than a week ago), and curious as I am, I started to check every part of my jeep to see how it's built. I saw that on most dana axles, there is suposed to be a tag confirming either the BOM# or the axle ratio but I can't find it on mine. I bought it brand new from the dealer and the build sheet says 3.73, so I probably have that ratio, but isn't there suposed to be something on the axle to tell me the ratio?

The only thing I can find are a couple of numbers printed on the cover that are
---
Dana Logo
42960 1
070 14
REV Y
0528 10
---

Here's a picture of the rear axle!

Any help?
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh really? I'll stop looking for them then hahaha

Does that mean that when buying a used jeep in the future with diffs that have no tags, the only way will be to either spin the wheel and count the ratio of driveshaft rotations vs wheel rotations?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
you have 3.73 gears if that is on the build sheet....no Rubicon

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Oh really? I'll stop looking for them then hahaha

Does that mean that when buying a used jeep in the future with diffs that have no tags, the only way will be to either spin the wheel and count the ratio of driveshaft rotations vs wheel rotations?
You can request a build sheet from Chrysler based on the VIN, however, the selling dealer should be able to look it up and see what was stock

But with that said it could have been changed by the previous owner.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Service advisor can pull it by vin

·
Registered
920 Posts
There is a tag, actually a paper sticker right on top of the axle with the BOM number on it. Here's a pic of mine shown in a mirror, along with the info it provides on Dana's website. Make sure to write it down, it won't be there in a couple of years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi!

I just bought a brand new jeep (less than a week ago), and curious as I am, I started to check every part of my jeep to see how it's built. I saw that on most dana axles, there is suposed to be a tag confirming either the BOM# or the axle ratio but I can't find it on mine. I bought it brand new from the dealer and the build sheet says 3.73, so I probably have that ratio, but isn't there suposed to be something on the axle to tell me the ratio?

The only thing I can find are a couple of numbers printed on the cover that are
---
Dana Logo
42960 1
070 14
REV Y
0528 10
---

Here's a picture of the rear axle!

Any help?
Thanks!
LOL I posted the exact same thing about a week ago, complete with pictures like yourself. I was rest-assured from the good fellow forum members that they don't do tags anymore. Mine did have a sticker on the axle tube near the "pumpkin" that had the 373 on it and also a Dana # that you can go to their site and look up to see exactly what gear ratio it is. Hope this helps and eases your mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts