Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a new black JKU sport S with: connectivity, manual trans, sun rider soft top, additional air bags and 3.73. It shipped in four weeks from OH to Philly. I'm in NJ so I had to wait another week because of hurricane Sandy to get it. Overall it was five weeks. I go to pick it up and I could tell something was wrong when I saw the salesman. He tells me the jeep came in with a decent size dent on the hood. He told me they would fix it. I saw it, it was pretty big about 6 inches. Like a a chain or branch hit it. I told him I didn't want it because it was damaged. So he had to order a new one. So I have to wait another 4-5 weeks for it to come in. Plus he told me the price went up and it will be another $150. I'm pretty pissed. I know accidents happen but it sucks. Did I do the right thing?

Should I have sucked it up and took it?
Should I have thrown a fit for having to pay another $150 for something that's not my fault? Side note: family friends with dealership.
Not sure. Just pissed I have to wait.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I think I would've done the same. Surely they can knock that 150 off the price for your troubles.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
IMO there should have been NOTHING wrong with a brand new JEEP!!! "Family friends" or not.....I guess that is why you don't do "business" with friends!!!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
They should have been able to replace the hood complete, it shouldn't have been that big of deal. I would have been pissed either way as well, but I can't tell you how I would have handled it. I might have reacted the same way, when you buy something new you want to be the one to beat it up. Kind of why I don't want to let my 18 year old drive ours, he has already dinged up our other two cars. If the new Jeep gets a ding and I am driving it, I know who to blame and can only be disappointed with myself, but I am paying for it and I will have to pay to fix it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would of tried to work out a discount on an AEV hood.

I wouldn't of accepted the vehicle damaged without the hood being completely replaced with either OEM or aftermarket of my choice.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would of asked for a new hood and some type of compensation.

Are you going to be waiting 4-5 weeks for the next one or longer?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
New vehicles are supposed to be inspected for damage of this sort before delivery. Body damage is supposed to be fixed. IMO a reputable dealer would reach agreement with the customer on how to best take care of it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought a brand new Harley Davidson Softail back in 1991. The day I picked it up the dealer showed me a hairline scratch on the lower side of the rear fender beneath the fender strut covers. I doubt I would have ever seen it if they didn't tell me. They told me that a new one was already ordered and they'd call me when it came in. After they called, they changed out the fender for free and I can guarantee a rear Softail fender costs far more than the $150 they plan on charging you.

Under NO circumstances would I pay $1 for a blemish/dent that I didn't cause. If the truck driver caused it they can take it up with his company. YOU are not responsible for this nor was I for my bike fender. Pay nothing!!!!!!!!

PS: My 2013 is on order and I can guarantee if there's one freakin mark on it that dealership will be talking about me for years.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
"Family Friends" will rape their own mothers. I worked at a dealership that would convince old people or naive people who had their cars in service that they needed the air in the tires changed because it was "stale" and would cause the tires to dry-rot. They also convinced numerous people they needed "winter air" in their tires because it was "different" from "summer air. :surrender:

Yeah, people actually fell for that. :nonono:

If these people are such great friends, they wouldn't have tried to hand you a damaged vehicle, they would have made sure it was pristine and that you were happy with it. Instead, they charged you $150 because of somebody's inconsideration when it came to your vehicle.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I believe the OP should stick to his guns to get the hood repaired, but I don't agree with forcing the salesman to order another Jeep.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Under NO circumstances would I pay $1 for a blemish/dent that I didn't cause. If the truck driver caused it they can take it up with his company. YOU are not responsible for this nor was I for my bike fender. Pay nothing!!!!!!!!

PS: My 2013 is on order and I can guarantee if there's one freakin mark on it that dealership will be talking about me for years.
Well guess what ?
If you have painted fenders .....

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/warning-to-those-buying-new-jeeps-199219.html

Rob .....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I thought that once an order was sold the price is "fixed" and cannot go up. That's the way it's always worked with me

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I believe the OP should stick to his guns to get the hood repaired, but I don't agree with forcing the salesman to order another Jeep.
:thumb: Give me a break. Some of you are treating this like a major ordeal. Occasionally things happen, don't fret. Tell them to schedule it for the body shop and bring it back and let them fix it. Why would you want to wait another 6 weeks? The jeep will get fixed, and you will never remember that it had a dent to begin with. Don't treat your dealer like they are some kind of bad guy for this...

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree, not the dealers fault at all. At least they showed him rather than fixing it without him knowing. I personally would not want aftermarket paint on the Jeep, get another one IMHO. Also, I doubt the dealer is charging him an extra $150 for that jeep. He cancelled that jeep order and ordered a new one exactly like it. Since his fits order the price has increased, so the new one is ordered at the current price. Seriously, this is not some conspiracy to rip the guy off of $150.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Easy, just tell them to paint a new hood or better yet a new AEV hood. No need to wait 6 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
23,655 Posts
I vote with getting a new aev hood or call to duty hood thrown in. If people only knew how many brand new vehicles come in damaged and get minor body repairs before they leave the lot. A quality body shop will do the repairs and it will be factory perfect.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yacc said:
I agree, not the dealers fault at all. At least they showed him rather than fixing it without him knowing. I personally would not want aftermarket paint on the Jeep, get another one IMHO. Also, I doubt the dealer is charging him an extra $150 for that jeep. He cancelled that jeep order and ordered a new one exactly like it. Since his fits order the price has increased, so the new one is ordered at the current price. Seriously, this is not some conspiracy to rip the guy off of $150.
Misread it. Makes more sense your way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. All good points. I only buy new cars once every 7-8 years so I'm pretty particular about the vehicle being exactly what I wanted. Especially since it was ordered with my specs. A part of me is regretting not letting them fix it and move on. But now it's time to move on. New jeep was ordered and now I have to wait for it to come in. The $150 price jump is what really irked me. But that's just the jeep pricing not my dealer. I was hoping that the dealer could wave it and expedite my new jeep due to a delivery issue. No such luck yet.

Side note. This is my first jeep and I can't wait to get. Thanks for the great info.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts