Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my '12 Sport S and got into a new '14 Willy's that I absolutely love! It does have an ongoing issue that bugs the crap out of me though... At random times regardless of temperature or last time run, I have to crank and crank and crank to get it to start! Sometimes it even takes a few seconds after that to sputter to life. I work at a Jeep dealership, and I have noticed this happening with a select few of the new Wranglers on the lot, but I never thought much of it. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what fixed it? My service department refuses to acknowledge there is anything wrong. 4,100 miles and counting...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
By chance are you waiting for the pump to pressurize the lines before you crank it over? I usually do, as I noticed sometimes when I didn't do this in my Subaru WRX, this same issue would appear.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I sold my '12 Sport S and got into a new '14 Willy's that I absolutely love! It does have an ongoing issue that bugs the crap out of me though... At random times regardless of temperature or last time run, I have to crank and crank and crank to get it to start! Sometimes it even takes a few seconds after that to sputter to life. I work at a Jeep dealership, and I have noticed this happening with a select few of the new Wranglers on the lot, but I never thought much of it. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what fixed it? My service department refuses to acknowledge there is anything wrong. 4,100 miles and counting...
My Jeep did this a little bit for the first 1000 miles or so but has seemed to correct itself. One time it didn't even start but since then I haven't had an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By chance are you waiting for the pump to pressurize the lines before you crank it over? I usually do, as I noticed sometimes when I didn't do this in my Subaru WRX, this same issue would appear.
Do you mean like turn the key to "on" and give it a minute before cranking? I have not been doing that but I can try.

You work at a Jeep dealership and they refuse to acknowledge there is a issue? That is crazy.
It seems like it would be crazy, but I feel like the employees are the easiest customers for them to brush off because we can't really complain haha.

Probably ethanol...
What do you mean by this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Something like that typically falls in a fuel pressure arena - check out the fuel injector nozzles and/or the pressure regulator. If the regulator valve has a poor seal, the pressure in your fuel lines would drop off after the pump/vehicle stops running. Does your car long crank every time? (even after, say, only being off for 10 minutes?) Besides a bad seat, there are a couple other pressure possibilities: (worn valve (unlikely), weak spring or defective diaphragm)

Did you follow any specific break-in process? I'd think the pressure reg would be the culprit before the injector nozzles based on mileage.

Ultimately, you're best bet is a simple EFI fuel pressure test (running vs resting). If service is laughing you off - have them try that. If that's not the issue, and everything looks fine with your injectors...maybe they have a point! (kidding...)

Finally, give your new car manager TA a good ribbing - tell him it's from his son :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something like that typically falls in a fuel pressure arena - check out the fuel injector nozzles and/or the pressure regulator. If the regulator valve has a poor seal, the pressure in your fuel lines would drop off after the pump/vehicle stops running. Does your car long crank every time? (even after, say, only being off for 10 minutes?) Besides a bad seat, there are a couple other pressure possibilities: (worn valve (unlikely), weak spring or defective diaphragm)

Did you follow any specific break-in process? I'd think the pressure reg would be the culprit before the injector nozzles based on mileage.

Ultimately, you're best bet is a simple EFI fuel pressure test (running vs resting). If service is laughing you off - have them try that. If that's not the issue, and everything looks fine with your injectors...maybe they have a point! (kidding...)

Finally, give your new car manager TA a good ribbing - tell him it's from his son :)
Hey thanks for the advice! It doesn't long crank every time, but sometimes if I try to start it just a minute or two after turning it off it does it. I did not follow any specific break-in process, just no cruise for the first 500 miles and no aggressive driving for the first 1,000, first oil change at 2,000.

I'm sitting in an office with Jeramy Olson right now, he says hi too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Priming the fuel injectors

With our high alcohol mixture it is evaporating in the fuel lines so, I always prime my fuel injectors twice to prevent difficult starting .
I have a 8 year old ford 4x4 truck I bought new with 20,000 miles an I only drive it about twice a month an it will not start without twice priming or it will turn & turn before starting.
When the 4x4 was new the gas was better or had less alcohol & the ford started right up but, now will start right up with the second priming .
Then you could have one leaky fuel injector due to trash or ? an bleeding your pressure down or possibly the fuel pump is leaking down ?
good luck Biff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey thanks for the advice! It doesn't long crank every time, but sometimes if I try to start it just a minute or two after turning it off it does it. I did not follow any specific break-in process, just no cruise for the first 500 miles and no aggressive driving for the first 1,000, first oil change at 2,000.

I'm sitting in an office with Jeramy Olson right now, he says hi too.
No problem - I've been waiting [somewhat] patiently for my '14 JKU to be built, but been sitting in D1 for a few weeks now.

Your break-in process sounds in line with what's suggested, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Hopefully I'll be seeing all y'all (including cranky Jeramy) soon, taking delivery of the new whip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No problem - I've been waiting [somewhat] patiently for my '14 JKU to be built, but been sitting in D1 for a few weeks now. Your break-in process sounds in line with what's suggested, so I wouldn't worry about that. Hopefully I'll be seeing all y'all (including cranky Jeramy) soon, taking delivery of the new whip.
I have a new 14JKU that had this problem. I switched to using a mid-grade gas and the problem seems to have resolved itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2014 jku willys does the same thing. It takes a half second or so longer to start then it seems like it should.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Take it to another dealership for service. That's one thing about being an employee or former employee of a dealership, especially if you worked in service. They don't respect you like a normal customer.

That being said, you have an uphill battle. It's going to be almost impossible for them to diagnose an intermittent problem like that. More than likely, they will hand it back to you, saying, "Could not verify customer complaint. Return to customer."

·
Registered
179 Posts
mine takes long to crank...longer than most

dealership says its "NORMAL" hate that shi..t

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
At random times regardless of temperature or last time run, I have to crank and crank and crank to get it to start!
I thought one just momentarily "taps" the key to start, releases, and the computer actually handles the starting?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This probably isn't your issue, but I had a similar issue like this on my older car, with intermittent long starts. Turned out that the ground cable on the battery was a bit loose. Maybe check that the positive a negative cables are tight on the battery terminals just to be sure it's not that.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I thought one just momentarily "taps" the key to start, releases, and the computer actually handles the starting?
This is true on Wranglers with auto transmissions. It's called "tip start". What kind of transmission does the OP have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a ’14 Willy’s that was just in the shop for the same problem. They did a fuel pressure test and found a leak. They also said the throttle body was slow to respond, so they replaced or fixed that. I went to start it this morning and the problem is definitely not fixed. I have an appointment with a different dealer on Monday, but I’m worried the outcome will be the same. Has anyone had success in getting this fixed?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have a ’14 Willy’s that was just in the shop for the same problem. They did a fuel pressure test and found a leak. They also said the throttle body was slow to respond, so they replaced or fixed that. I went to start it this morning and the problem is definitely not fixed. I have an appointment with a different dealer on Monday, but I’m worried the outcome will be the same. Has anyone had success in getting this fixed?
Yes there is a fix see the end of this thread.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/long-cranking-time-651993.html#/forumsite/20561/topics/651993

1 - 20 of 21 Posts