Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fast coming to a cross-roads as far as rust is concerned. I've already had to replace the rear UCA brackets on the frame, and I can no longer take the skid plate off (I'm worried it'll take care of that, itself)...so, I've been trying to decide on getting another Jeep, and swapping over all the upgrades, vs replacing the frame.

I've found a 2006 LJ, unmolested, that would be a good candidate. It's a Texas vehicle, so it's rust free, has barely over 100,000 miles, and is decently clean.

Feel free to give opinions. Both Jeeps have standards, my current is a 99 Sport, built to run 35s.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have you ran the costs yet? Talked with mechanics? Sourced any good frames?

I feel like unless you just want a new Jeep cause your itching, swapping the frame may be best because at least you KNOW the condition of the body, drivetrain, suspension, etc. of your current Jeep. It’s gotta be cheaper to swap the frame than to buy an LJ right?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The only reason not to buy the LJ is that you can't afford it or you would feel some sort of pride or joy doing a frame swap. If you can afford the LJ then by all means do so.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ran the costs yet? Talked with mechanics? Sourced any good frames?

I feel like unless you just want a new Jeep cause your itching, swapping the frame may be best because at least you KNOW the condition of the body, drivetrain, suspension, etc. of your current Jeep. It’s gotta be cheaper to swap the frame than to buy an LJ right?
Not necessarily. The body isn't in much better shape than the frame. Body mounts and torque boxes are on their way out, and I'm not sure how long the skid plate will wait to leave.

The drive train and suspension are great, engine is also good to go...it's what holds it all together that worries me.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason not to buy the LJ is that you can't afford it or you would feel some sort of pride or joy doing a frame swap. If you can afford the LJ then by all means do so.
Pride isn't what's at issue. It's the viability of swapping the parts I have onto a new platform. I've found a couple TJs that would also work, and there won't be any issues with rear axles and e-brake cables. I currently have an 8.8 with an ARB and 4.88 gears, as opposed the LJ's D44 with no locker and a different gear set.

I think I've answered my own question, and I'll likely stick with a TJ...just one with less miles and no rust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just found a TJ frame in Alabama for $400 that I drove down and picked up. ALso bought the tub as my torq boxes were rusted out. I spent a total of $900 on frame and the complete body not just the tub. I am going to sell what I don't need of the body. The frame looks like a brand new one no rust and is straight. I will say that I got very lucky on this deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts