Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking is for the first time but I've read a lot about different ideas and opinions.

I'm looking at a 2010 blue islander lifted to an unknown height w 37 x 20's and when I got to about 70mph, it started to sway like you would in an I beam suspension -- except a whole lot worse. The salesman at the dealership told me his crew checked it out and that's just how they work.

any thoughts from the gallery?

:beerme:

MK

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,915 Posts
Well, I don't know about "that's just how they work" but ya, when you start modifying a Jeep for off-road, the on-road capability changes as well. My Jeep's kind if squirrely at 70+ when the wind picks up but then I have curry anti-rock sway bars front and rear so its to be expected. With 37" tires and a lift (I'm guessing ~ 5") the center of gravity is going to be higher but I wouldn't expect it to be too bad.

2,663 Posts
I would check to see if it has adjustable control arms and a drag link flip kit. It looks to be at least a 3.5 inch lift. And the swying is going to be from the geometry being out of wack. There are a couple of ways to fix. But can be fixed. If it is a great deal for the jeep. Get it and we can help you fix it. If you have any questions feel free to pm or email me and Ill help you out.

-JP

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Get a CarFax from the dealer and check it over.

Improperly lifted Jeeps can be a hand full on the highway. I don't think that Jeep was lifted for off road use for two primary reasons. Those who are serious about going off road would not use a limited special edition, and they would not replace the original 17" wheels with 20" wheels.

The reason you wouldn't put 20s on for off road is performance and economics. A 37" tire on a 17" rim has 5" of flex in the tire for going over objects where as a 37" tire on a 20" rim only had 3 1/2". Secondly (use BFG Mud Terrains) the 20s are $84 more per tire (37/12.5R20 @ $492) than than the 17s (37/12.50R17 @ $408).

I notice a "Ford Truck Month" poster in the window behind the Jeep. I can understand why a Ford salesman would say that all Jeeps handle like that. No Jeep salesman would ever say that.

The front tires look a little worn to me as well. You might want to take a tread depth gauge with you on your next visit. Most A/T tires will have 15/32s tread depth when new while most MT tires will have 20/32s tread depth. You don't want to buy a vehicle with half worn tires only to have to turn around and invest $1600+ in a set of tires. Rather than have the dealer replace the tires, us it as leverage to get the price down. Just plan on spending some money on tires and wheels. Look at this way, the money you save by going to 17" tires will pay a good bit toward the wheels. Those tires require 8.5" to 11" wide wheels.

Check underneath as well for excessive rust. Always check the underneath of any vehicle but especially a Jeep. If they have been driven in mud and it was allowed to cake it will hold moisture. If it was driven in salty road conditions it will rust after a while and it is 7 years old. The CarFax will also tell you how many time the Jeep has changed hands.

It's not quite ready for prime time, but can easily get there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts