Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
< 6 weeks old and < 1,500 miles ....

Over the past week I started to hear a front end knock when driving over bumps, and up my drive way.

Some Google research lead me to check the sway bars, and I discovered a loose bolt on the drivers side sway bar. The topmost bolt was not tight, which allowed for some play which seems to be the cause of the knock. A short test drive confirmed my diagnosis, but I suppose I will not really know until I can go for a longer drive tomorrow.

So, I think I will ask the dealer to check the suspension when I bring it in for its first service.

Should I be surprised by this? Is this unusual?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
not really unusual, but I cant say I have seen it on a vehicle that has never been disconnected (I am just guessing it hasnt been based on the fact that it is 6 weeks old).

IIRC the stock nut is a deformed type and after a bunch of removing and reinstallation of the nut it will lose its ability to hold torque.

I would tighten it, use loctite, and not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
There are torque specs for every bolt in the suspension including those. Not read of complaints along those lines but not overly surprised. I changed a substantial amount of the bolts to my suspension two weeks after we bought ours, none were loose and all appeared to be torqued properly. They were not fun to remove or replace even being new. Someone somewhere missed one of yours. Your dealer should check the entire underside, and if it were me I would do so as well. Good Jeeping to you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just swapped my e-disco bar out on my 14 Rubicon last week for a Currie Anti-rock. The 2 passenger side frame mount bolts were ridiculously easy to get started removing like they were not torqued properly. The drivers side were tight and took quite a bit more force to get going. I have no doubt the passenger side mount, had I left it alone, would have worked loose in short order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine started at 12,000 miles on my 2013. It was the top drivers side swaybar connect bolt too.
Never been disconnected just started rattling.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies!

Funny, I like the Jeep so much I just shrug this off. Any other vehicle I do not think I would have such a calm attitude.

Always have a cresent wrench on board...front suspension is easy to get to.
Two really. The top bolt outside nut would not catch without counter pressure on the inside nut. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Loose bolts generally should not happen on a relatively new Jeep.
But this is a good start for the OP to make a habit of crawling under his jeep and checking the suspension for loose bolts, areas of chafing or any thing that looks bent or out of place, especially after each 4 wheeling outing. In addition to a good visual inspection after wheeling, Every few months I recheck torque on shock bolts (esp lower shock mount bolts) TB bolts, SB bolts, lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I have a slight pop on the right side I cannot find yet. It happens when I am on an up slope and put the Jeep in park then release the brake (auto trans). It will not occur if I use the E-brake. It occurs on the backslide to the auto trans pin but it sounds like it is in the suspension. I plan on getting under there tomorrow but just wondering if this is something known or common?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loose bolts generally should not happen on a relatively new Jeep.
But this is a good start for the OP to make a habit of crawling under his jeep and checking the suspension for loose bolts, areas of chafing or any thing that looks bent or out of place, especially after each 4 wheeling outing. In addition to a good visual inspection after wheeling, Every few months I recheck torque on shock bolts (esp lower shock mount bolts) TB bolts, SB bolts, lug nuts.
Roger that.

Sounds like a good excuse to get some jks quicker disconnects
On the list already ... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts