Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to all this and im trying to learn as much as possible. i want to know what you guys think the best and most cost effective 3" lift i can get for a 4dr jk. I'm definitely going with pro comp all terrain 35" tires. But i was looking at the 3" teraflex suspension lift and i would buy shocks later on when i have more money. someone told me that the kit was somewhat incomplete because the axles would be uneven. But can't i correct this with the 8 flexible arms? and are their any other problems I might run into where i have to buy more parts or extensions? or will the 3" lift with 8 arms be good to start?

Vendor
I'm fairly new to all this and im trying to learn as much as possible. i want to know what you guys think the best and most cost effective 3" lift i can get for a 4dr jk. I'm definitely going with pro comp all terrain 35" tires. But i was looking at the 3" teraflex suspension lift and i would buy shocks later on when i have more money. someone told me that the kit was somewhat incomplete because the axles would be uneven. But can't i correct this with the 8 flexible arms? and are their any other problems I might run into where i have to buy more parts or extensions? or will the 3" lift with 8 arms be good to start?
In order to center the axles side to side under the vehicle you'd need Adjustable Track Bars. To center the axles front to back and also set the pinon angle/castor you'd want adjustable Control Arms.

You'll also need to get a new front drive shaft as the factory one will go bad in short order with that much lift. You'll also want to consider gearing and axle strength, depending on what type of wheeling you're going to do.

In my opinion you should continue to read and ask questions before buying anything so you don't end up with buyers remorse down the line! The good news is that you're in the right place! Read this thread and ask lots of questions.

-Ryan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In order to center the axles side to side under the vehicle you'd need Adjustable Track Bars. To center the axles front to back and also set the pinon angle/castor you'd want adjustable Control Arms.

You'll also need to get a new front drive shaft as the factory one will go bad in short order with that much lift. You'll also want to consider gearing and axle strength, depending on what type of wheeling you're going to do.

In my opinion you should continue to read and ask questions before buying anything so you don't end up with buyers remorse down the line! The good news is that you're in the right place! Read this thread and ask lots of questions.

-Ryan

thanks!

Super Moderator
For a 35" a nice 2.5 kit will do you fine.
Say you go TF
get the kit without shocks. I prefer the kit without extensions because you get the rear axle side brackets (centers rear axle and corrects roll center height)
Then you can add either lower CA's or geo brackets for caster up front.
A adjustable track bar is optional at 2.5 but nice to have.
For shocks, the Rancho 9000's are around $250 w/ rebate.

Total your looking at under a grand.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a 35" a nice 2.5 kit will do you fine.
Say you go TF
get the kit without shocks. I prefer the kit without extensions because you get the rear axle side brackets (centers rear axle and corrects roll center height)
Then you can add either lower CA's or geo brackets for caster up front.
A adjustable track bar is optional at 2.5 but nice to have.
For shocks, the Rancho 9000's are around $250 w/ rebate.

Total your looking at under a grand.
is it better just to get an express lift or something like the 2.5 metal cloak game changer? i was hoping for 3" lift but seeing as I'm new to this the 2.5 seems to be the "safe" starter lift that doesn't require as much thought or money. So for 2.5 TF i don't need the adjustable arms right? (just the track bars) and can i keep the stock shocks until later on?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jersey
What is your budget for lift alone ? Let's start there :thumb:
1500 is what id like to spend
but i want a good quality starter so $3000 max

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty decent brother. Do you off road,
Daily drive , mix ?
it would be a mix...offroading weekends and occasionally week days, errands and short commutes weekdays, and longer commutes to the mountains in the winter

so i guess i REALLY only need that 2.5 ....just thought .5" more would give it a little better look, more clearance for offloading (especially since its a 4dr) but i guess the .5" more isn't really worth it to start with all the added costs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything you said has been really helpful so far!

No winch or bumper (yet) and no carrier for the 35's although I'm thinking I might need one.

So I guess my best bet for my first lift is pretty much everything you suggested...2.5 TF with rancho 9000's , and the lower CA's with adjustable TB. And then I was looking to invest in flat flares later on anyway. And bump stop doesn't burn a huge hole in my wallet so those aren't a problem.

So if I went with something like that, what's the advantage of that set up as opposed to getting a complete kit like the gamechanger by metalcloak?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts