Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new (to me) 2012 jku that I just got with 14k on the trails. Well I scratched her up more than I really wanted to. Most seem like just surface but a few did expose white under. Whats my best bet at hiding those surface scratches and giving it a good wax to hide the swirl marks. Id like to be able to get everything at local stores and I want all new products now.. So I need soap, wax, clay bar (I still have one new one), and I guess anything else you guys would recomend to make it look good again. I used to be a big meguiars fan but I'm open to anything new now mothers, turtle products or anything. Lately me meguiars doesn't impress me but I could be using the wrong products.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What color is it? Pics?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I took my new (to me) 2012 jku that I just got with 14k on the trails. Well I scratched her up more than I really wanted to. Most seem like just surface but a few did expose white under. Whats my best bet at hiding those surface scratches and giving it a good wax to hide the swirl marks. Id like to be able to get everything at local stores and I want all new products now.. So I need soap, wax, clay bar (I still have one new one), and I guess anything else you guys would recomend to make it look good again. I used to be a big meguiars fan but I'm open to anything new now mothers, turtle products or anything. Lately me meguiars doesn't impress me but I could be using the wrong products.
Polish removes swirls and light scratches, compound is usually used for the worst stuff. Wax is for protection and it won't do anything to remove a scratch.
For getting swirls and scratches out you'll want a buffer like a Porter Cable. I wouldn't want to attempt to do it by hand.
Porter Cables are like $100 and last a life time, worth every cent imo.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/
Is where I get most of my supplies. I use their polishes and wax but will also use p21s wax every now and then when I want something harder.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have been using Zaino wax for over 10 years now and am a firm believer in the stuff. It went on my brand new 2013 JKU the same day I brought it home from the dealer with 9 miles on it. It is VERY durable, and even one coat will last 6 months to a year. With that being said, you'll have to get it online, unless you can locate a local dealer around you. They have a polish (PC Fusion I think) that works very well on getting the light scratchs and swirls out, and of course their synthetic waxes would go over top to protect your paint. No cheap though for a 'full kit'.

Another very good and popular product for scratches I've seen others use is made by 3M.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What soap do you guys recomend? Turtle ice soap with the turtle liquid wax? Or paste

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
For local stuff, the Meguiar's gold class (or whatever it's called now) is probably your best bet for soap. If you see white in the scratch after washing (before washing it might be dirt), you're through the paint into the primer or metal. You'll never buff it out. As a matter of fact, if you can feel it with your fingernail you're through the clearcoat and it's pointless to buff because you'd have to go through your clearcoat which would be very bad.

You can still give it a normal buffing with a polish which will take the edge off the scratches and you won't notice them as easily though. Modern vehicle clearcoat is about twice the thickness of a cigarette pack plastic wrap. So it doesn't take that much for the scratch to be too deep to remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts