Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. I am now the proud owner of an 05 Unlimited. I think it may be a Rubicon because it has an Axle Lock switch in the center console and I think the diffs are Dana 44's. It has had a partial repaint, so no Rubicon decals are on the hood. Do any 05 Wranglers besides the Rubicon have Axle Lock?

Also, I have a real head scratcher. The bumper has two foglights on it that are Hellas and connect to the factory wiring harness by the front turn signals and parking lights. However, the light control stalk on the steering column does NOT have a fog light switch. Are these factory fogs? Could it be that the prior owner had to replace the light control stalk but didn't replace it with a stalk that included the fog light switch? Here is a picture of the fog lights.

IMG_0052.jpg

·
Registered
15,652 Posts
OEM only rubicon had selectable locker but parts are swappable just run your vin if you think rubicon also snap a pic of your transfer case peters me the front end of it

04 factory fogs had stock switch but again parts are swappable
TJ without fogs may still have fog light harness from factory

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
An easy way of knowing for sure if its a rubicon is checking the 6th digit in the vin. It should be a 6 to designate a rubicon model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. That is a super awesome service FCA offers. I looked up the VIN and it confirmed it is a Rubicon. Awesome news. The build sheet also says it had factory fog lights. My Jeep has KC's on the windshield frame that are wired to a fog light switch to the right of the axle lock switch. I assumed that is an aftermarket switch and only controls the KC's, but is that possibly the factory switch and also controls the fogs on the bumper? If so, they are just burned out, although I checked one bulb and it looked fine. Also, I don't thing the fog relay is in the fuse panel in the engine bay.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks, guys. That is a super awesome service FCA offers. I looked up the VIN and it confirmed it is a Rubicon. Awesome news. The build sheet also says it had factory fog lights. My Jeep has KC's on the windshield frame that are wired to a fog light switch to the right of the axle lock switch. I assumed that is an aftermarket switch and only controls the KC's, but is that possibly the factory switch and also controls the fogs on the bumper? If so, they are just burned out, although I checked one bulb and it looked fine. Also, I don't thing the fog relay is in the fuse panel in the engine bay.
Did you pull the switch on the turn signal stalk? That is how you turn the fogs on. You rotate it to turn lights on and when it is on parking lights and headlights it will allow you to pull on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My stalk doesn't allow you to pull out. It almost seems like the stalk may have been replaced with a stalk that didn't include the fog light switch. Thank you all very much for your advice and help. I think I am going to really enjoy Jeep ownership.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sir,
Just for clarity, you don't pull on the entire stalk. You only pull on the TIP. And, like stated, you MUST have the switch rotated at least one click which, will place the "parking lights" on. You don't need the headlights on to test the switch and, the activation of the front fogs. The fogs will work with the LOW BEAMS but, when the stalk is pulled to change to the HIGH BEAMS, your fogs will automatically cancel.

Then, upon returning to low beams, your fogs will resume activation automatically. That's the way about 99.999999% of the vehicles on the road today operate including autos, trucks, motor homes etc.

Now, if the tip does not pull out on your MFS (otherwise known as the Multi-Function-Switch), then two things might be.

1. It's frozen and for some odd reason won't pull out.
2. It's not the MFS that is there for a system with fogs.

If your fogs are truley wired into factory wiring, and, you DO NOT have a MFS that is normally present with a fog light system, then either Jeep had other arrangements for activating those (i.e. some other switch someplace) or, not sure what's supposed to activate them. Good luck and please report back with what you find out.
Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, all. I really appreciate your help with this head scratcher. I will send a pic of my MFS and the wiring tonight. I definitely can not pull out on the end of the MFS. It looks very similar to the MFS pic posted above, but without the icon for foglights!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts