Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im not going to be stupid and ask if i should go 33 or 35 in tires. Im def decided to go 35 cuz i feel like there would be no point in changing out stock if i didnt do atleast 35. my question is

1. what are the best lift kits for the $$ (i am on a strict budget)
2. what tires should i look at? (i live in Indiana so i get sun, rain, snow)
3. Any recommendations for places to work on it near central Indy?
4. what are so cool accessories you would recommend?
5. how do i keep my wife from stealing/wanting my jeep?

now, keep in mind that i am a working father who takes kids to and from school in the jeep. i will go off road maybe 2-3 times in the warm seasons, and deal with lots of snow in the winter. so i am still wanting good mileage and as little wear and tear as possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's a daily driver and you're not going off-road but a few times a year, get the AEV 2.5 lift with geometry correction brackets. About $1,100 with no discounts. Rides great at 80mph and you avoid issues that you'll get going with a bigger lift.

·
Registered
970 Posts
i live in indianapolis too and went to 4 wheel parts and had brinks do my jeep.....he calls it getting brinksed out....did 1.75" daystar spacer lift, procomp 17" alloys, duratrac 315s (35 ish), corsa single out exhaust, afe CAI, bilstein 5100s, and a fox ATS SS.....did it all at once and it completely transformed my jeep. Only had 1000 miles on it when i had the work done...I love it so much more now....rides better than stock and looks BADASS

I went with the duratracs because i have 3.73 gears and duratracs are light (60lbs) and great in rain/snow too .....in indiana i really dont need a regear since its flat and low elevation. Go talk to them and tell them seth recommended you. We might each get a discount :happyyes:

still get 17-18 mpg average too

·
Registered
970 Posts
if you like the stock ride go with a Budget Boost ....the daystar 1.75" is only $150....installed is like 400-500

·
Registered
18 Posts
Teraflex makes good stuff and it should meet your needs. The springs aren't progressive rate like the AEV's but honestly, I don't know if it's that big of a difference. I'd still consider getting the AEV geometry correction brackets for another $100. I haven't run without them but from other posts I've read, they make a world of difference.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
2.5" TeraFlex is a popular choice around here. There are several threads about lifting available.

I have to add.....based on everything you stated...a lift and 35's make little sense.

Strict budget
Midwest (Indiana), so no extreme terrain.
Very limited off-roading frequency (2-3 times in the warm season)
Daily driver with kid duty.
Winter weather is a concern.

Why rule out 33's?

And yes, check your gear ratio to see if you have 3.21's or 3.73's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd have to agree with Panthermark. 33's should be plenty fine. I'm in FL and thought I wanted 35's at first but there's really nothing extreme here and the price difference between 33's and 35's is pretty big if you're trying to hold to a budget.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Go big or go home is my opinion. Do it right the first time. You get spacers, you will want higher. You get 33's you will want 35's.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, lots of great advice here, so here is my two cents.

I went with the Rough Country 2.5in kit (#656) ($140-170 online) parts are well made, had my local tire shop do the install, $160

Going with LRG 17x9 rims and Cooper STT Pro 315 (34.5") tires.

I actually put on some BFG TA KO2's that only measured 32" mounted, it just didn't look right.

Mine is also mainly a daily driver and I may take on some of Oregon's forest roads in the fall.

My total was:
Wheels (with new lugnuts) $559
Tires: $1,200
Lift +install: $360

$2,119 and that is pretty low on the price scale. As was said up above the other lift kits with new shocks and springs may give you a better overall ride, I don't have mine back yet so I can't comment on the ride.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Go read through some of the build threads(mine is in sig line) and see what is actually needed to suit your needs. I did the "most popular jk lift" on mine, and 35's would clear fine. I tend to put miles on so I went 33's to retain most of my stock fuel inefficiency. But with the weight of my e rated grabbers I probably could go with lightweight 35's and not take a hit.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts