Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now a proud owner of a '94 Wrangler with the 2.5L. I bought it with a 1.5" lift and 33's. I'm new to Jeeps so going from a small car that will do 0-60 in 7-8 seconds to this feels painful. It seems as though my 4th gear has absolutely no torque! Or at least it feels that way. There's a lot of mountains around here as well and one of my weekly drives is on a mountain into VA. Needless to say my gas mileage sucks, too. I'm sure because of the added lift, and most likely bigger tires, maybe, that I may need to re-gear it? Can someone help me out on what may need to be done?:banghead:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm now a proud owner of a '94 Wrangler with the 2.5L. I bought it with a 1.5" lift and 33's. I'm new to Jeeps so going from a small car that will do 0-60 in 7-8 seconds to this feels painful. It seems as though my 4th gear has absolutely no torque! Or at least it feels that way. There's a lot of mountains around here as well and one of my weekly drives is on a mountain into VA. Needless to say my gas mileage sucks, too. I'm sure because of the added lift, and most likely bigger tires, maybe, that I may need to re-gear it? Can someone help me out on what may need to be done?:banghead:
Welcome to our world.

As far as there being no torque, the 2.5L is infamous for not producing much power while driving on road (but they can keep up with 4.0L off road all day). As much as I'd hate to say, you should have done some research before purchasing.
Crawling up hilly roadside is something you have to deal with when you have a 2.5L.

In terms of the gas mileage... it's a Jeep thing. The bigger tires do decrease fuel economy big time. However, that 2.5L gets 1-3 mpg better than the 4.0L. So, it could be worse. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to get better fuel economy if you want to keep the bigger tires. Our Jeeps are kind of giant parachutes.

Unfortunately those are the two bad things about our vehicles. Other than that, they're sweeeet. :dance:

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Our Jeep, Heeps push air about like a sheet of plywood and the 2.5 is not the best freeway runner, well you didn't say what this sucky gas mileage is but in the mountains a 2.5 with 33s & 4.10s should should get at least 13-15mpg, and that's not bad for a Heep. What is your gas mileage?

·
Registered
647 Posts
yea, should have come here before purchase, we could have helped you steer away from that 2.5, its just not practical for your commute.
be careful with that 5-speed in there, its a very weak tranny and too much stress climbing mountains could blow it up.
As far as gas mileage,
2.5 gets 1-3 better city depending on hills.
4.0 gets 1-5 better highway.
but its still a sail, expect no better than 20 with a stock 2.5, with lift its worse, by how much i do not know

·
Registered
9 Posts
To get back to stock power, change your axle gearing. Call or go on 4WS website and get the right gear ratios. You will get everything back except: a slight decrease in top end speed (not really important in a 4 cyl Jeep; and 1-2 mpg reduction from the extra wheel and tire weight).

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Or you can put smaller tires back on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recommend putting stock size tires back on. I put on some winter wheels, which are much smaller than my oversized summer wheels, and it made a HUGE difference. I can accelerate much faster, drive 70mph if I want to, and it certainly didn't hurt my mpg.

Keep an eye on craigslist for a cheap set of wheels, and/or sell your existing ones, and it shouldn't be too pricey.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts. They all are very helpful. I'm more of a car guy. I didn't realize at the time that the difference between the two can be that drastic. I'll take all your ideas into stride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts