Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X last week and want to begin dipping my feet in offroading. I was looking for any and all advice regarding what to upgrade first, where to go, and anything else you guys might have for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Welcome. There are so many options for upgrading that depend on the Jeeps use. Overland trail riding, mudding, rock crawling, mall crawling, beach riding, etc.. What will your use be?

·
Super Moderator
9,604 Posts
I bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X last week and want to begin dipping my feet in offroading. I was looking for any and all advice regarding what to upgrade first, where to go, and anything else you guys might have for me. Thanks!
Welcome to the sickness! Go to your local state forum here on WF. Check out FB in your area for local runs/ clubs. You can also go to local 4x4 shops and ask about clubs etc.
Before you upgrade anything of importance go on some runs, ride shotgun with someone on a HARD run. This will give you a realistic idea of what a WELL BUILT rig is capable of doing. Then plan a 5 year build, research, research and then do more, once you have a good idea of what you want your rig to be capable of THEN start spending your hard earned money. If you want to do some easy, worth the time and money look into LED headlights. Truck-lites, JW Speaker etc.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMO, the most important "upgrade" you can do to your jeep, or any jeep for that matter... Tires, get a good set of tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. There are so many options for upgrading that depend on the Jeeps use. Overland trail riding, mudding, rock crawling, mall crawling, beach riding, etc.. What will your use be?
Probably just overland trail riding, and light mudding if any

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Take it offroad before you start dropping mods into it. That way you can figure out what is a priority and what can wait.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Function wise it will probably suite your needs as it is now. As mentioned , take it out a few times and see how it does. Now other mods that we "have to have", are for comfort, convenience, or image.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have owned mine for three years. I can honestly say I'm glad I fought the urge and kept it stock. It gets me pretty much anywhere I want to go and it's a ton of fun. I'm starting to consider mods and a lift isn't even the picture right now.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
From a lot of experience: Stay away/out of the mud.
MUD is a lapping compound. Grinding away at every bushing and bearing on the Jeep and you cannot just wash is away. Wheel bearing and suspension components are expensive to replace.

Yea I know, you can't stay away from the mud really but, try as hard as you can to keep out of the deep stuff. It does really feel good to drive thru that stuff I know.

Enjoy the Jeep:happyyes:, wheel with others with like minded people and try as hard as you might to never wheel alone.

BTW, learn to drive your Jeep without a lot of mods; you'll learn a lot of valuable information in what you do and don't need to buy.

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
242 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts