Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 JK Wrangler Lobster Red Sport. I have the crappy basic 16 inch tires and basic wheels that came with the car. I want to switch them out for bigger tires and wheels. I know absolutly nothing about wheels,tires,and lift kits. I am a women so I dont want these tires to look too masculine and really big. I was thinking about the 17 or 18 in tires. Will I need a lift kit? and any recommendations on where to buy them? Thanks
casey

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a leveling kit and 285/75/17 tires on mine. I'm about 5'3 and the height is perfect for me. I went with a Rough Country leveling kit, it was 2" all around, and I had it installed at a fabrication place in Austin, TX. It was pretty wallet friendly. But it all depends on what you want to do, as well.. Off roading, no off roading, rock crawling, etc. It took me a couple of months to figure out exactly what I wanted, but I'm very happy with what I have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tires on this thing are small and the wheels are as basic as you can get. I'm about 5'5 so I dont want anything obnoxious high off the ground and I dont want to look like I'm all chromed out in downtown Baltimore. So I think I want something classy. I was looking at the American Racing AR898 wheels and I like the goodyear wrangler tires. So my question is what size lift do I need to accomadate these wheels and tires. I have been to goodyear twice in the past week and everyone looks at me like I'm an idiot because I'm not a man. If I dont ask I wont learn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 5'5 and I like the looks of the height of your tires off the ground. I'll check out the rough county leveling kit. The tires you have do they rub on the inside of the jeep tires? I just drive this fun car on weekends. I have a company car that I drive during the week. I wont be doing any rock climbing but I would like to be able to climb a muddy mountain.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
33" tires will fit without a lift. The Goodyear wrangler duratrac is very well loved in the forum, and they do make a jeep specific size for 33". 285/70/17.
For the wheels, you will want 5x5, or 5x127 with 4.5" Backspacing.
If you want to lift and have a nice leveled look without spending too much, look into the teraflex leveling kit. It's about $150ish but install might run you up to $300.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok- thanks. Do you think these 33" tires will look too big without the lift? I am not opposed to getting the lift at all. I just dont want them to look obnoxious. What do you think of the American Racing brand? and the 5x5 or 5x127 referes to the width? Sorry, this is all new to me. I will look at the teraflex leveling kit. I think I just saw it on a site I was looking at. Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will these work?

Consumer Rating

Numerical Average : 8.59 / 10

(out of 87 customer reviews)
Stars : 4.5 / 5

See all reviews for this tire

5 star:

(65)
4 star:

(15)
3 star:

(3)
2 star:

(1)
1 star:

(0)

Warranty Rating

• Size: LT285/70R17
    Pro-Grade
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 121/118RLoad Index 121 = 3267lbs (1485kg) per tire
    Load Index 118 = 2982lbs (1355kg) per tire
    Speed Rating "R" = 106mph (170kph)
    Load Range: EMax Load = 3,195 lbs
    Max psi = 80 psi

UTQG: Not required for
    this tire.None
  • Price: $250.49 (each)
    See Price In Cart
    Estimated Availability: Fewer than 4, Additional Due 04/24/15
    Shipping Cost/Delivery Date
  • Qty:
  • Road Hazard Protection is not available for LT metric/flotation tires
Add To CartShipping
Add To
Wish List
Additional Tire Information

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are anywhere near Dallas, I have five 32 inch BFG Mud Terrains on stock Rubicon wheels.

I also have the stock springs and shocks that came off the rubi. I think that would give your sport a little lift.

If you are interested, let me know.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Ok- thanks. Do you think these 33" tires will look too big without the lift? I am not opposed to getting the lift at all. I just dont want them to look obnoxious. What do you think of the American Racing brand? and the 5x5 or 5x127 referes to the width? Sorry, this is all new to me. I will look at the teraflex leveling kit. I think I just saw it on a site I was looking at. Thanks again
The 5x5 is the bolt pattern for the lug nuts. 5 lugs, 5 inches (127mm) apart. It's a standard that any tire shop will understand. Wheels are measured by diameter and width. Every tire has a fixed diameter it needs but will fit on a range of widths. Then there is back spacing (also called offset). That's how far the wheel stcks out to the side or tucks in. There's two ways of measuring it. Back spacing measures from the inside lip of the wheel. Offset measures from the center of the wheel. It's confusing at first but not terribly hard to get a handle on. Or you can just trust us to get the right numbers for you and take them to the tire shop.

The 33" tall tire is only slightly taller than the stock 255/75R17 that comes from the factory. It shouldn't look too big on a stock Jeep.

Quite honestly though, if you take a walk through the lot and like the size of the bigger 255/75R17 tires there's no reason not to get that size. Regardless, it's your Jeep so it's important that you get what you want for it. If you want bigger, go for it.

And finally, it's important to remember that when you change tire size, it's important to tell the Jeep's on board computer about the change. It's easy to do with a simple programmer and we can get to that when you settle in on tire size.

My advice is to start by looking at the picture threads here and figure out what appeals to you size wise, both in overall tire size and wheel size. There's lots of choices for both. Also pay attention to the style of the tires. There's all kinds from very aggressive to very mild. Once you pick out sizes and styles, it's easy to figure out what else you need to make them fit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lets see if this helps.
I have a 2015 JK for my daughter. I upgraded from the base 16" wheels/tires to the 17" GY Duratracs. 285/70 17 tires.
There is no lift or level kit on this Jeep. I added washers to limit the steer turning and keep tires from rubbing the plastic shroud.
It looks great, but I would highly suggest you find someone to let you drive one with these tires. It drastically changed the ride and lane wandering compared to the stock 16" tires. The tires are LT with a stiffer side wall. It rides and bounces more than stock, and wanders more. I am also running 28 psi to soften the ride.
I have the same tire size and brand on other daughters JKU and the change in ride/wandering was not near as pronounced. (ie: JKU longer and weighs more).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Casey, I've found that Tirerack does not always have the best prices on wheels/tire packages. Try Discount Tire Direct.....great people, great prices, great customer service.

I would go with a 33" tire and some 17" wheels (your choice), should be perfect for what you want. The GY Duratrac is a great tire, but there are other really great tires out there that are cheaper. I went with the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and love them......plus they were way cheaper than the Duratracs. Living in the Baltimore area, your tire will need to be winter rated (assuming you drive it in the winter) so don't go with a mud terrain, get an all terrain to allow flexibility of both road and trail.

·
Super Moderator
9,116 Posts
I'm 5'5 and I like the looks of the height of your tires off the ground. I'll check out the rough county leveling kit. The tires you have do they rub on the inside of the jeep tires? I just drive this fun car on weekends. I have a company car that I drive during the week. I wont be doing any rock climbing but I would like to be able to climb a muddy mountain.
Take a look at my Dune Sahara in my Garage: it has the aforementioned Duratracs 285/70-17 on AEV Savegre wheels and NO lift.

Take a look and decide if the tires look right or too big for you.

·
Super Moderator
14,571 Posts
The 285/70-17 is a solid recommendation for you on a wheel with between 5" and 4.5" backspacing.

Discount tire direct has some great options.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lets see if this helps. I have a 2015 JK for my daughter. I upgraded from the base 16" wheels/tires to the 17" GY Duratracs. 285/70 17 tires. There is no lift or level kit on this Jeep. I added washers to limit the steer turning and keep tires from rubbing the plastic shroud. It looks great, but I would highly suggest you find someone to let you drive one with these tires. It drastically changed the ride and lane wandering compared to the stock 16" tires. The tires are LT with a stiffer side wall. It rides and bounces more than stock, and wanders more. I am also running 28 psi to soften the ride. I have the same tire size and brand on other daughters JKU and the change in ride/wandering was not near as pronounced. (ie: JKU longer and weighs more).
Yes. Definitely recommend trying to test drive one that has bigger tires and/or is lifted. The drive isn't as smooth as a stock Jeep!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have a 2013 JK Wrangler Lobster Red Sport. I have the crappy basic 16 inch tires and basic wheels that came with the car. I want to switch them out for bigger tires and wheels. I know absolutly nothing about wheels,tires,and lift kits. I am a women so I dont want these tires to look too masculine and really big. I was thinking about the 17 or 18 in tires. Will I need a lift kit? and any recommendations on where to buy them? Thanks
casey
Based upon how you asked this question, if my daughter asked the same I would say pick up 5 Rubicon wheel and tire take offs and you'll have a direct bolt on easy upgrade that will look good but not too aggressive. You can get them on-line from someone who did a swap usually at a good price, and some are even new. There are a lot of good recommendations in this thread, it's up to you to decide how far you want to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts