Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased my first jeep, it is a Jeep Rubicon unlimited. My question is: I like to just fold the soft top back, in the Sundowner position. My owners manual recommends taking out the back window when traveling this way at speeds over 40, but it doesn't say why. Does anybody know why? It's really quick and easy for me to just fold the front part of the soft top back and go cruising without removing the rear window, but am I damaging something by not taking it out? Thanks for the input guys.

·
Administrator
41,900 Posts
It puts stress on the top, windows and in particular the zippers. The top will act as a scoop and pull air in and puts pressure against the rear window. It also acts kind of like a drag chute and puts stress on the door surrounds as well. By taking the rear window out, it allows the wind to flow through more freely.

Here's a great thread on everything on soft tops: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-help-563993.html

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Click here for tips to help you use the forum

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Don't take the whole rear window out, just unzip it 7/8ths of the way and flap it inside the rear compartment area.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been driving with the top flipped back for 5 years without taking the rear window out. I haven't had any issues at any speed.

The one thing I am very careful about, is how the top is folded back. If the fabric gets pinched in the frame it could easily wear a hole into the top.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Install a Spiderwebshade. It cuts down on air flow - and UV - into the cabin by, I'd say 80%, so no need to remove windows. And don't forget to pull the slack back into a "W" shape in the sunrider position as the manual suggests. That way to the folded fabric won't flap with air flow. Good luck!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jeep1029 is right. When you go down a road, go fast and then look back at your windows. They will be poofed outward or will be flapping. This is stress on the windows and the zippers holding them. As quick as it is to unlatch and flip back the sunrider part, it's just as quick to unzip and pull the back window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts