Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just bought a '21 Jeep Wrangler JL with the V6 Eco Diesel. Love the engine, by the way.

Vehicle is stock and I am looking to get some wheels and tires. I would like to get the most wheel with NO mods to replace the stock ones that came with it. The more I research, the more frustrated I get. what I do not want:
  1. No Lift - Stock suspension
  2. No Trimming
  3. No Rubbing or Scrubbing
  4. No speedometer recalibration
  5. All Terrain Tire - extremely doubtful we will ever do serious off-roading as this is the wife's daily driver and out weekend cruiser. (When it's paid off, who knows? :p)
Just looking for a larger set of wheels with some flash. So far I have looked at:
  1. 17x9 wheels
  2. 32.5" tires
  3. -12 offset
I'd like some 20" wheels, but not clear on how the larger wheel will still fit my stock suspension with 32.5" tires etc. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback. Configs, pics, websites, lessons learned are all welcome!

JAS

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
Welcome to the Forum JAShaw,

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Retired Moderator
103,570 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Super Moderator
7,713 Posts
If you don’t want to recalibrate for larger tires, you should stick with the stock size. Larger tires will need recalibrating to get the automatic transmission to shift right and the speedo to be accurate.
You could run 20” wheels with tires that are the same outside diameter as the original tires. But the ride would suffer because of the shorter sidewall. There are plenty of people out there running 20’s on their Wrangler . But you will find it is not a popular way to go around here. It is like making a football player wear high heels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don’t want to recalibrate for larger tires, you should stick with the stock size. Larger tires will need recalibrating to get the automatic transmission to shift right and the speedo to be accurate.
You could run 20” wheels with tires that are the same outside diameter as the original tires. But the ride would suffer because of the shorter sidewall. There are plenty of people out there running 20’s on their Wrangler . But you will find it is not a popular way to go around here. It is like making a football player wear high heels.
So if i stick with the 17x9 wheels, can/should I go with a 31" tire?

·
Super Moderator
7,713 Posts
So if i stick with the 17x9 wheels, can/should I go with a 31" tire?
What size tires do you have now?
A 32” tire is a stock size on a JK. But not all JK’s have that size tire stock. I was under the impression that the JL came with 32” tires as the base tire size. And some came with 33” tires.
If you want to not re-calibrate for different size tires you should get tires that are the same size as what you have now. But I will point out it is easy to re-calibrate for different size tires. You can do it yourself with an app or widget or have a dealer do it.
You can put 32”, 33”, or even 35” tires on a 17” wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,713 Posts
Also, Jeep people are typically more concerned with backspacing than offset. If you know wheel width and offset you can calculate backspacing. But easier to just look at backspacing to begin with. Backspacing is a constant, regardless of wheel width. Two wheels of different widths but with the same backspacing will fit the same. But two wheels of different widths with the same offset will not fit the same.

·
Super Moderator
7,713 Posts
Why not? A good tech reason or purest reason? I'm also new to the Jeep life and would hate to do anything the would hurt my Jeeps longevity.
Two main reasons.
A 20” tire/wheel combination will have a lot less sidewall than a 17” tire/wheel combination. The additional sidewall will help with ride quality and it will work better off road when airing down. And the tire selection in 17” is often better and cheaper. It is hard to find load range C tires in 20” at any price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts