Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2000 wrangler 4.0 auto. I believe it is all stock except for it has 35 in BFG ATs and a 4 in lift. It seems a little sluggish on the highway. Should I look into changing gears? I'm also not much of a mechanic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Downshifting when going uphill is normal and those are some pretty big tires on it. 50-60mph is not terribly bad for a Wrangler going uphill, though, but are you sure it's really 50-60? Larger tires can mess up the speed reading if it's not adjusted correctly...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am sure it's 50 to 60. My thinking is that if I put lower gears in it would get it closer to what the final drive was with stock tires. I would think it would make it stouter on and off road and maybe make it a little easier on the trans. Like I said I'm not much of a mechanic thinking this might help it some.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
With the 35's you should have a 4.56 or even 4.88 gear ratio. Someone posted a nice chart on here few days ago. I think it was a thread about a D35. Depending on what you have in there now, gears may be the answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts