Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So my grandpa is giving me an '85 Jeep CJ for a Grad present. I barely know anything about Jeep, so help me out, what are some basics I should know?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
even though many try to make it out to be some exotic creature it is just a vehicle..service it , drive it and treat it like you would anything else..your grandpa can probably teach you these things if you don't already know

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
you are very welcome..I enjoy teaching my grandsons and we have some great times..I bet you and your grandpa would enjoy it too

·
Registered
40 Posts
Treat it well and remember that it is a 30 yr old vehicle.
Congratulations by the way. Your Gramps is a good man.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Pics? Eh hem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very exciting, I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight! & yeah I've waited for a long time to get a vehicle! Especially a Jeep!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nice!

Gotta love the CJs. So what are the specs on it? I know you said it has the I6 but what tranny, gears,...?

These things do have some quirks and a few weak parts so as others have said, treat her kindly. Some of those are known to have weak transmissions and there is a design flaw in the rear axle making it prone to breakage so be careful. Find out as much about her as you can so you don't have any surprises. Hopefully grandpa already took care of those issues. Good luck and enjoy. Share more pics!

As for basics you should know, I have already mentioned some but you need to know basic maintenance. How to change all fluids, a tire, do a tune up... get yourself a good Chiltons manual for the CJ and play sponge. Get to know your Jeep inside and out.

What are your plans for her? Daily driver, trail runner, rock crawler...?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what tranny she has but I know it may not be to great cause my grandpa gave me an extra. I know I have to re gear the rear end cause its off with the thrifty ones that are on it.

It's going to be my daily driver. I hope to learn a bunch more in the near future! I'm not doing anything drastic to change anything, just everything running & looking right then ill be done! :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I don't know what tranny she has but I know it may not be to great cause my grandpa gave me an extra. I know I have to re gear the rear end cause its off with the thrifty ones that are on it.

It's going to be my daily driver. I hope to learn a bunch more in the near future! I'm not doing anything drastic to change anything, just everything running & looking right then ill be done! :)
speedo may be off a little but you should not have to regear for 31's...not doing anything drastic is very smart

1 - 20 of 27 Posts