Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 06' TJ and I'm still learning about them. I have wanted a jeep for a long time and now that I have it it's time for the mods. I'm interested in lifting it, probably 4in w/ 33" mud terrains. Any suggestions? On anything, not just the lift.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
my suggestion would be to research a lot before you buy, and only buy once, save up and buy the lift, dont owrk up to it.

as for lifts personally i would do this.....
flat/tube fenders something like this (not painted weird blue though, keep it black!; http://www.metalfusionfab.com/tj_tube_fenders.htm

3" rustys lift ; http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...ys&Product_Code=TJ3K&Category_Code=sus_tj_kit

then you dont get into BL or SYE/ driveshaft things, and you get the cool look of the flat/tube fenders

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
that's a cool site, thanks. But I can't find flat fenders... as far as research, I've been doing a lot but I've been unable to fine actual testimony of the parts, only what the manufacturer says about there product. The two names I hear people talk about are Rockkrawler and skyjacker.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
flat fenders are the same thing as tube fenders, they are fenders that are made out of tube that are flat, most people just call them tube fenders though

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, now I feel dumb. lol i see them. Those are pretty cool and I've seen them on a jeep running around here. They look like rock crawler parts though, not sure if I want a serious aggressive look or a slightly mean look. Black is definitly the way to go though. My TJ is red w/ black soft top.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OEM is good, but I've been modifying and building suspensions for a little while. Idk about off road however. I took it out already and I was VERY impressed with what that stock jeep could do, but in the soft sand all I do is sink and get real bad tire hop. I know that the streets tires I have aren't going to do too much for me off road however. I'm not planning on hardcore rock crawling but I like to camp, fish, shoot, etc. so I want a vehicle that will get me anywhere. But off roading, I have found, is really fun. :)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
well it will cost about the same as a 4" lift and a SYE/CV kit

and will look wayyy cooler!!

but it is all what you want, build it for yourself, do whatever you want, just take whatever we say here as suggestions, but in the end its ur jeep and ur hard earned $$

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
the tires are important on sand

and you will find a stock jeep will get you just about everywhere you need or want to go, but if you want ot wheel it and go off roading for the challenge then you will start to need to modify it

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
btw it old man emu, not sure if we were tlaking about the same thing, was it a mistype for OEM??

not to be picky, just want to be sure you understood

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
it replaces the driveshaft joint into the T case and the driveshaft so you dont get vibes froma lift kit

if you have less then 4" of lift you are usually fine without the new kind of driveshaft and connection

heres the site for the OME, it is about double the rustys but most say the ride is worth it, idn though since i've never ridden in either one;
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/TJ_LJ_OME_Kits.htm (the deluxe one)

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
OME = Old Man Emu. It's a suspension division of ARB.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Both are easily confused on forums.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Well I thought I'd leave at least one thread alone. :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH... OME... lol That's the brand name. Like I said I'm new here, but I learn quick. Those look like nice kits. From what I have come across as of yet a YE is not needed until you get past 4" lift. I have looked at the skyjacker kit and the local shop will install it for $1516 total. the other shop I went to tried getting me to buy a rockkrawler long arm kit. a little too extreme for me, but a nice kit. I'm not dead set on 4" but I DO want that lifted aggressive look. And I wanna climb some sandy slopes. I'll send pics when I go back out there.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
well personally i would use the money you will save form the shop install ing the lift, and get some nice tools that you will use for the rest of your life, and save you lots of money down the road, and learn more about your own jeep

this site will help you out a lot (click on the current specs and it will show a write up of how to do it, and explore it to find out what else can be done, lots and lots of great write-ups)
http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html

1 - 20 of 34 Posts