Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2000 wrangler sport. it has a 3 inch lift and brand new 31 inch mud terrains.

im heading up to auto zone later on to get some camo seat covers and possibly picking up some diy bedliner for the floors.im also getting a new battery and spark plugs.the battery im getting is 90 bucks and it has 900 cold cranking amps. i have been told its the best.

and all the fluids are getting changed on monday.

any suggestions for things i need?

thanks

newbi dan

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
Only one suggestion.....Get it Dirty

Welcome to the Forum Dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
A nice set of torx bits will get you pretty far...

Look into monstiliner as the stuff at autozone isn't that great

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Looks like a good start man. Do you know when the last time the oil was changed? I'd go ahead and change it just in case, so you know the exact miles.

Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tool wise, i got a lot but thank you for the heads up on the wrenches.

now seafoam? is this for when i remove the carpet?

·
Registered
245 Posts
dmiller369 said:
tool wise, i got a lot but thank you for the heads up on the wrenches.

now seafoam? is this for when i remove the carpet?
Seafoam is a fuel additive and injection cleaner.

·
Registered
386 Posts
1st off- you shouldn't need anything but elbow grease and maybe some PB Blaster to get the carpet out.

Seafoam = godly.

You pour 1/3rd of it into your air intake, 1/3 into your gas tank and 1/3 into your oil.

However- when you add it into your oil you want to only drive with it in there for the tail-end of your oil's life. In other words 50-100 miles.

If you plan on an oil change monday, then put it in today and it will get removed when the oil is drained. If you do the oil change yourself pay attention to what comes out. If it comes out normally then thats a sign that the rig was taken care of very well. Most likely it will be kinda chunky/gunky that means it cleaned it out.

Additionally pour it into your gas tank when you have under half a tank left and drive it until you think your Jeep is going to run out of gas.

It only costs between $4-8 depending where you buy it from.
Make sure to follow the directions- there is a method to doing it right. It takes roughly a half an hour of your time and about roughly 5 minutes of " work "
( most of the time is spent waiting )

May I suggest youtubing it and finding an example.
Very simple.It looks like this :

What will happen is it will clean out all the gunk. When you restart you Jeep it will spit out nasty white smoke from the tail pipe when you press on the gas pedal. Usually for 2-5 minutes. It is pretty cool but you need to do it in a ventilated area like- away from your neighbors.

One guy had a neighbor so worried she called the fire department. :punk:

Here's a sneak peak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l1WtGhHMNY

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
any suggestions for things i need?
yea, you probably need a lot of stuff. My suggestion is learn what you have now...what suspension you have now...brand of springs, brand of shocks, shock lengths, any brackets, control arms, steering, etc.

Then do some research into what other components you are missing, upgrade them so you Jeep works better.

After you've addressed the suspension, steering, brakes, fluids, tires, and other hard components, then waste money on camo seat covers and fuzzy dice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
After you've addressed the suspension, steering, brakes, fluids, tires, and other hard components, then waste money on camo seat covers and fuzzy dice.
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Con grad's....
I would personally just drive it and enjoy it for a bit. Learn about it and then make informed decisions based on experience.

I would also go to Sears to get my new battery or to one of the others that carry dry-cell.

C.

·
Registered
772 Posts
if you plan to do alot of the maint/repair on it yourself, get yourself a FSM(field service manual(factory)) for your yr of jeep. You can find em on e-bay, the electronic(down loadable) version can be had for $3.00. If you like the feel of paper you should be able to find one from $25-$40 though you may have to look around and wait. Noticed the prices got pretty high befor x-mas, hopefully they came back down now. You can get a chilton/haynes for very general info but they are useless for anything detailed--i couldn't even find my style of fan belt tensioner in a haynes.

other than that, congrats and welcome to the group-get out there and enjoy your jep

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
A nice set of torx bits will get you pretty far...
x2, also penetrating oil (aerokroil, liquid wrench or pb blaster), and antiseize. I also ordered a FSM :).

·
Registered
684 Posts
if you plan to do alot of the maint/repair on it yourself, get yourself a FSM(field service manual(factory)) for your yr of jeep. You can find em on e-bay, the electronic(down loadable) version can be had for $3.00. If you like the feel of paper you should be able to find one from $25-$40 though you may have to look around and wait. Noticed the prices got pretty high befor x-mas, hopefully they came back down now. You can get a chilton/haynes for very general info but they are useless for anything detailed--i couldn't even find my style of fan belt tensioner in a haynes.

other than that, congrats and welcome to the group-get out there and enjoy your jep
I have the same year Jeep and model...let me know if you need a digital version of the service manual.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the same year Jeep and model...let me know if you need a digital version of the service manual.
thanks for the offer
got the haynes 1st but didn't have the info i needed so i got the d/l version. i'm a hard back type of guy so i ended up getting the printed version w/the drive train diag. companion manual.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea, you probably need a lot of stuff. My suggestion is learn what you have now...what suspension you have now...brand of springs, brand of shocks, shock lengths, any brackets, control arms, steering, etc.

Then do some research into what other components you are missing, upgrade them so you Jeep works better.

ok i need some help... i have a few questions.

1) how do i figure out what kind of gearing you have?

2)i have not been able to stay on the road with this jeep. im so impressed by what it can do in 4 low.it just idels up steep inclines. but my question is how much will it cost to get into a lock diff system and where do u rec. on getting it?

3)i took my jeep 3 hours away yesterday and went snowboarding with some buddies. my heat was blowing great the whole way there and back. i noticed this morning i have very little heat. its just very little warm. i completly flushed out my system b/c i was plannign on doig it anyways but that didnt work. do you think its the thermostate? the max temp only reaches about 150.

thank you all very much,
dan

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You said you have a sport, so I assume it's a 6 cyl, which should run between 200 and 210. 150 is too cool. It should have a 195 thermostat in it, but the thermostat only controls how quick the engine warms up, so I'm not sure why you're running at 150.

Regarding your axles, check the sticky at the top of this page (TJ faq's). You probably have D35 in back and D30 in front with 3:07 or 3:73 gearing. If you take the VIN to any dealer they'll give you a printout with everything your jeep came with from the factory, including gearing.

Welcome, and I'm glad you're already taking her offroad :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
ok i need some help... i have a few questions.

1) how do i figure out what kind of gearing you have?

thank you all very much,
dan

I found this link the other day What's My Gear Ratio?

Anyone else with more experience can chime in but i found that my tag on the rear diff actually said 3.73 (unless it was regeared w/out changing the tag)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts