Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm turning in my car this weekend, and going Jeep shopping. I've wanted one since I was a kid, and now that they come in 4-door and have such improved ride quality, I'm finally in. My only question is, which trim level should I get? Wheels and tires are definitely going to be replace. Side rails, bumpers too. I'm not into crazy lifts, but I will def be going with taller and wider tires so I dont know if a minor lift will be necessary depending on models. In my mind, I dont see the point in going with a Rubicon if I will still have to replace everything...or am I wrong on that? I dont plan on doing any rock climbing, just basic off roading and time on the beach. Point me in the right direction please. Also, whats the biggest tire I can put without a lift and without serious risk of rubbing? Thanks

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
BillyBonds said:
In my mind, I dont see the point in going with a Rubicon if I will still have to replace everything...or am I wrong on that? I dont plan on doing any rock climbing, just basic off roading and time on the beach.
Replacing wheels, tires, and side steps doesn't even approach replacing the extras that come on a Rubicon. Electronic sway bar disconnect, D44 front axle, 4:1 t-case, etc. But it doesn't matter--based on your post I agree you don't need any of it anyway. It'd be money spent just to spend money.

BillyBonds said:
Also, whats the biggest tire I can put without a lift and without serious risk of rubbing?
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MTH, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I read that thread on tire size before posting, I just wish I understood what it all meant. As for tires, I'm think 33", maybe 35" max. From what I have been able to understand, it seems I may be able to do 33" stock with chance of rub off-roading, but may be able to do 35" by simply replacing/cutting the flares?

Is the suspension on the Sahara and Sport the same?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
BillyBonds said:
I read that thread on tire size before posting, I just wish I understood what it all meant.
This is a red flag. My advice is always to educate yourself before you start buying components and swapping stuff in. Be careful.

BillyBonds said:
As for tires, I'm think 33", maybe 35" max. From what I have been able to understand, it seems I may be able to do 33" stock with chance of rub off-roading, but may be able to do 35" by simply replacing/cutting the flares?
That's about right. 35s with no lift will also require cutting your pinch seam. Still, most folks 35s prefer some kind of lift in lieu of or in addition to a fender chop. 33s as well, though you'd never lift AND fender chop for 33s.

BillyBonds said:
Is the suspension on the Sahara and Sport the same?
Better shocks on the Sahara. But if you're lifting the jeep you'll probably get new shocks anyway. And even if you we're going to lift and use shock extensions, low mileage take offs of Rubicon/Sahara shocks are usually easily found on Craigslist because folks lift jeeps so often.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Sport or Sport S if you are going to replace the wheels and tires, put your own rails on, and don't need all of the items on a Rubi.

But keep is stock for some time before you start your mods. Figure out what you want and WHY.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You don't need a Rubicon and the Sahara will only be worth it if you can't live without some of the options available on a Sahara that you can't get on a Sport. On the Unlimited most of the options are available on the Sport that you have to get a Sport S to get in the 2 door. If you're going to replace everything anyway there is no use paying for it up front. I would get the cheapest model that gets you the options you want.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Go with a Sport S based on what you're saying. Rubicon would be a waste of money since you don't need the offroading add-ons.

Only go with the Sahara if you want painted fenders, side airbags, auto climate control, etc.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Sport S and the Sahara have the same suspension.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Go with a Sport S based on what you're saying. Rubicon would be a waste of money since you don't need the offroading add-ons.

Only go with the Sahara if you want painted fenders, side airbags, auto climate control, etc.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Sport S and the Sahara have the same suspension.
The Sport/Sports has a "normal duty" suspension.
The Sahara has a "Heavy Duty" suspension.
The Rubi has a "performance" suspension. (With red shock covers)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sport S, take the saved money and get the wheels, tires, coils and shocks you want...sounds like that'll be exactly what you want.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Its of course your $$$$ and others have their opinions but a Wrangler Sport "S" is one very fine vehicle...........thats what I decided worked best for myself last August and I have never looked back.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Dont settle for only what your local dealer has on the lot. Browse all the dealer stock through Jeeps web site until you find the exact color and options you want.Then if its not close enough to go to that dealer ask your local dealer to do a swap or transfer to get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts