Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
The new JK's are built on a Hummer chassis and are for mall use only! Stick with the TJ's or earlier!!!

:hide::hide::angel::angel:

·
Registered
403 Posts
alot of the jkers use auto. its easier for climbing. in fact 90% of the JK jeeps that climb in Utah are autos.

as for me, i went with a manual TJ and i am never going back to automatic. its so much more fun and interactive IMHO.

but the JKs are capable of doing some "jeep" things = Summertime Snow Wheeling on the Rubicon Jeep Trail - YouTube

depends what your gonna doing. and if you want that rugged feel of a jeep or the luxury of heated seats, leather, blah blah blah.

and sure one could argue those are heavily modified JKs , but what the hell, half of the TJs running are heavily modified aswell.

as for advantages? manual =more fun, better MPG, more control over rpms while on and offroad, less moving parts, and generally easier to fix.

Automatic= Easier ?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hahah, I was poking fun at the JK guys on the "Mall Use" comment, seems I only ever see them going to or from the mall.

Manual or auto is pretty much personal preference. I've always liked manuals better. Manual will usually get slightly better fuel mileage, auto is convenient. If you are in the mud or deep water much bear in mind that with a manual you want to pick a gear and stick with it and NOT shift. When you push in the clutch you open the friction surface and allow mud, water and grunge in, which in the short term will cause the clutch to slip and in the long run will cause premature failure. Most people seem to like autos better for crawling over rocks and such...personally I've never done much crawling over rocks, maybe the occasional stump or downed tree, but that was in my old 4X4's which were not Jeeps(reading all these folks talking about rock crawling and now that I have a Jeep again I may have to give this a try!).

As for the new jeep vs old jeep...pick what you like personally within your budget. Best friend has a new JKU Rubi and loves it. I have a 98 Sport and love mine...they are all good!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts