Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every one I have a few questions I'd like to ask every one here and hopefully I'll get some great answers in return:happyyes:

These questions will be regarding lift kit/tires/gears and model of jeep with a few more other random things thrown in if this takes off.
I've searched on here for a while now but can't seem to find answers for MY questions so decided I would post.

So..I've been a member here for a while and made some older posts pertaining to when I got lucky and came across an older Jeep TJ. Life threw me a for a loop and decided to let that toy go before it became a much bigger toy that would of made it harder to let go of lol :rip:

Back on track now and in the market for a new Jeep right off the dealers lot.

Looking primarily at a 2016/2017 JKU Sport model but have some questions concerning my options and route to go.

So I'll get right to it!

I'm on a limited budget like I'd assume a lot of others are, especially with toys so not going high end models.

Quick Life style:

This will be my DD. I drive on highways a lot as well as in the city but I also drive a lot on country back roads. Pretty much all over the place. 1 minute I'll be in the city hopping on the highway hitting highway traffic to the next minute being in open country back roads. Every where:pullinghair:

I do go hunting and this will be my vehicle I bring with me. Some of the places I've been are muddy climb type areas. Both wooded and opened. No rock crawling/climbing will be done. Period. Not my thing.

A good amount of my driving is pavement/dirt-gravol roads with occasional off roading every now and then. Nothing extreme.

I'm currently driving a pick up truck and I love it.
But time for a more capable, fun, smaller vehicle.

Goals/Expectations:

I would like to have a pretty simple straight forward jeep that I can have fun with when I want ( Wouldn't every one :lmao: ) but not go overboard with things on/in it that I honestly won't need or use. ( Rubicon?? )

I'd like to have it lifted at 3" with 35s, no more. I like that stance and I feel it would be more then enough for what I do and where I go.

I am planning on putting a winch on it for them sticky situations.

Questions:

- Would the Jeep 2016/2017 Unlimited Sport be best for my situation?
It seems like a fair price, will want AC in it and Bluetooth with 3.73 gears.
Manual.

- If I got that model would the Teraflex base 3" kit be good for my needs
and would the 3.73s be good to run with the 35s?

I have a few more questions but I'll leave it here for now as I seem to have typed a lot more then what I thought/wanted lol.

Thanks every one who reads this and replies :worthy: :happyyes:

- Nate

·
Registered
243 Posts
3.73 might be a little tall for 35" tires. If you can find one to test drive with that setup already, try it out. That's right on the cusp of what i would consider acceptable, and will definitely be a personal decision. See how it feels under hard acceleration merging onto a freeway.

Also, if you're going to be getting into situations that are sticky enough to require a winch, you might benefit from at least a rear locker. They're as useful in mud and mire as they are on the rocks. How beat up are your hunting trails? If they're not too bad, maybe consider a limited slip differential for the rear; that will be nice both on road and off.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I would go with an AEV, Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak or JKS lift. As for gears give the 3.73's a shot and see how you like it, if not be ready for a regear what should run you about $1,500-$2,000 bucks.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,639 Posts
Congrats!! But use the search function, you will find the answers to a lot of your questions...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
We have a JK, and two JKU's in the family.
Our use is about the same as you describe, state and rural back roads, no crawling, basically our style of wheeling is overland. Old gravel logging roads etc. All are daily drivers. A few interstate trips per year and heavy snow covered use in the Adirondacks in the winter.
We chose 315/70-17 Cooper ST MAXX tires, have them on all three, and couldn't be happier.
Went with AEV 2.5" kits with correction brackets on all three and the ride and handling on/off road is excellent.
The JKUWW's have 3.73's and they work good for us. The JK has 3.23's and will be getting 4.10's in the next few weeks.
One JKUWW has a Quadratec 9500# winch, and went with a Smittybilt X20-10k with on the JK. Both with synthetic rope. Haven't been in any real bad situations yet, but the few times we used them to pull others out, they both work fine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the almost exact setup you are looking for except in a 2 door and auto
I've got a 2015 JK with a Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with an added 3/4 spacer to make up the sag from the Warn and 3.73 gears turning 35s

I average about 15 to 16mpg. My fiance has a 16 JKU manual with 35s and 3.73s and she's averaging 17 to 18mpg
The 3.73 turn the 35's just fine for us as daily and for wheeling

2016-11-22_02-08-59 by Craig MacMillan, on Flickr

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a JK, and two JKU's in the family.
Our use is about the same as you describe, state and rural back roads, no crawling, basically our style of wheeling is overland. Old gravel logging roads etc. All are daily drivers. A few interstate trips per year and heavy snow covered use in the Adirondacks in the winter.
We chose 315/70-17 Cooper ST MAXX tires, have them on all three, and couldn't be happier.
Went with AEV 2.5" kits with correction brackets on all three and the ride and handling on/off road is excellent.
The JKUWW's have 3.73's and they work good for us. The JK has 3.23's and will be getting 4.10's in the next few weeks.
One JKUWW has a Quadratec 9500# winch, and went with a Smittybilt X20-10k with on the JK. Both with synthetic rope. Haven't been in any real bad situations yet, but the few times we used them to pull others out, they both work fine.

Really appreciate the pictures. They look great.

Yeah your driving situation/life style is the same as mine pretty much to a T.

I drive down to Florida with the wife every March or so. On road manners are definitely important but also want the Jeep to turn the wheels without much hassle.

Would the Sahara model be good because of the LSD option?

I went into the dealer yesterday with the wife.

Basically have to go Sahara model for my needs due to ac and power locks. Adding that to a sport bumps it up more then a Sahara. ( makes no sense lol )

Reason I am thinking 3.73s is because my truck has cooper discover stt pros on her with 34 inch tire and I haven't lost any power gain or realm fuel mileage ( always on cruise control for regular driving )

So figured 3.73s would be a good start on the jeep since it comes with the tow package and if regearing is needed. I can regear later on.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this is awesome :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3.73 might be a little tall for 35" tires. If you can find one to test drive with that setup already, try it out. That's right on the cusp of what i would consider acceptable, and will definitely be a personal decision. See how it feels under hard acceleration merging onto a freeway.

Also, if you're going to be getting into situations that are sticky enough to require a winch, you might benefit from at least a rear locker. They're as useful in mud and mire as they are on the rocks. How beat up are your hunting trails? If they're not too bad, maybe consider a limited slip differential for the rear; that will be nice both on road and off.
The hunting trails are pretty different year to year depending on how the weather goes.

But they aren't to bad with all honesty.

I can squeeze my truck up through some of them if I really wanted to, I just don't want to chance it in the tight areas. Don't need the truck to get hung up.

Never been stuck with my truck any where either, especially in deep snow like how we got it last Dec.

Winch is an ease of mind because if I do get stuck. I don't have to worry or rely on any one for help as if there wasn't a winch.

Have thought about the LSD option.
Is that standard on the Sahara?
Like mentioned below, went into the dealer yesterday and basically have to go Sahara model for my needs because a sport built with AC and power locks comes more pricey then the Sahara. Apparently.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Our JKUWW's have 3.73's, and they work fine with the 315's

·
Registered
729 Posts
The hunting trails are pretty different year to year depending on how the weather goes.

But they aren't to bad with all honesty.

I can squeeze my truck up through some of them if I really wanted to, I just don't want to chance it in the tight areas. Don't need the truck to get hung up.

Never been stuck with my truck any where either, especially in deep snow like how we got it last Dec.

Winch is an ease of mind because if I do get stuck. I don't have to worry or rely on any one for help as if there wasn't a winch.

Have thought about the LSD option.
Is that standard on the Sahara?
Like mentioned below, went into the dealer yesterday and basically have to go Sahara model for my needs because a sport built with AC and power locks comes more pricey then the Sahara. Apparently.

When my GF went to get her jeep last Feb, we went online to build and price a Sahara since she wanted the creature comforts then I added what I wanted her to have (3.73, LSD)
After comparing the Willys Wheeler turned out to be a cheaper model for what she wanted and what I wanted her to have plus the added rock rails and mud tires even tho shes on 35's now

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When my GF went to get her jeep last Feb, we went online to build and price a Sahara since she wanted the creature comforts then I added what I wanted her to have (3.73, LSD)
After comparing the Willys Wheeler turned out to be a cheaper model for what she wanted and what I wanted her to have plus the added rock rails and mud tires even tho shes on 35's now
Funny you mentioned that.

Wife and I were just talking about that.

More bang for my buck I guess you could say.

How are you guys enjoying it so far?
Is it auto or manual?

Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Funny you mentioned that.

Wife and I were just talking about that.

More bang for my buck I guess you could say.

How are you guys enjoying it so far?
Is it auto or manual?

Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

She loves it, its manual. She paid about 48,000 Canadian for it, she also ordered a hardtop since this one was on the lot and was soft top only. They are definitely worth the package imo

alyssa 2 by Craig MacMillan, on Flickr
2016-10-26_11-50-29 by Craig MacMillan, on Flickr

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hers is also just running a RC spacer kit, while mine has the Teraflex 2.5 in it. Hers runs alot smoother down the road and the stock suspension with the spacers has held up quite well. Those pics are from Marble Head on Drummond Island

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She loves it, its manual. She paid about 48,000 Canadian for it, she also ordered a hardtop since this one was on the lot and was soft top only. They are definitely worth the package imo

alyssa 2 by Craig MacMillan, on Flickr
2016-10-26_11-50-29 by Craig MacMillan, on Flickr
Those are some sweet pictures.
Thanks for those.

Just showed the wife and she's even more excited now about the jeep lol.

How are you liking the teraflex kit?

Was looking at the base 3".
Would it include everything need?

I hear/read that a lot of kits are missing parts to do with steering and axel placement.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Those are some sweet pictures.
Thanks for those.

Just showed the wife and she's even more excited now about the jeep lol.

How are you liking the teraflex kit?

Was looking at the base 3".
Would it include everything need?

I hear/read that a lot of kits are missing parts to do with steering and axel placement.

The tera kit is great and has held up well! The 3 inch will be nice on a JKU since they look better a bit higher than the JK. Without bumpers and winch it will net you higher than the 3 inches so there may be a chance your angles will be off a bit but it is nothing to worry to much about. Any higher of a lift you would be looking into adjustable arms, and front driveshaft.
I've got more pictures of mine and the gf's jeep on instagram if you have it or you can see on the Web. My user name there is stil2low as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The tera kit is great and has held up well! The 3 inch will be nice on a JKU since they look better a bit higher than the JK. Without bumpers and winch it will net you higher than the 3 inches so there may be a chance your angles will be off a bit but it is nothing to worry to much about. Any higher of a lift you would be looking into adjustable arms, and front driveshaft.
I've got more pictures of mine and the gf's jeep on instagram if you have it or you can see on the Web. My user name there is stil2low as well
Yeah I was thinking about the bumpers but not to worried about it.

3" is max I'd go.

Don't got instagram but I'll check the Web there for ya.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lifts

I have a 2017 JKU Rubicon manual that I will be putting a 3.5" lift on and thought I would share an article I found on lifts. It had some good info on lifts and discusses some specific lift kits in some detail. Everyone has there own opinion but the info here made a lot of sense to me. I will be ordering an AEV 3.5 SC lift because it will be my DD with some vacation off roading and the kit includes almost everything I need including the YETI drag link. If you don't like AEV then Metalcloak would be another route to go.

rubicon4wheeler: Choosing the Right Suspension System

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2017 JKU Rubicon manual that I will be putting a 3.5" lift on and thought I would share an article I found on lifts. It had some good info on lifts and discusses some specific lift kits in some detail. Everyone has there own opinion but the info here made a lot of sense to me. I will be ordering an AEV 3.5 SC lift because it will be my DD with some vacation off roading and the kit includes almost everything I need including the YETI drag link. If you don't like AEV then Metalcloak would be another route to go.

rubicon4wheeler: Choosing the Right Suspension System
Sorry for such a late response, works been busy lol.

I appreciate the link, I've read it a few times. Definitely gonna do a little more research of the lifts and such.

Why exactly did you choose AEV?

what about that kit stood out from the others that made you pick that one?

How much was the kit is CAD?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts