Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals,

so i just got a 2017 jku sahara winter edition. i have a few questions was looking for some guidance. i tried searching but i suck at using the forums for now.

1. do i have to take off the hard top to get the soft top out of the back?
2. how the hell do i remove the soft its bolted in do i unbolt the whole bracket on the roll bar?
3. Recommendation on where to get a good tool set for the removal of the hard top and soft top?

Any info on these even if its a link to another post would be a huge help.

thanks all looking forward to some good convos and posts on here seems like a great place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome, congrats on new jeep

1. Yes
2. You can take off the bracket or just the pieces which connect to it.
3. Should have been a little tool set for the tops/doors included with the jeep but you can find them on Amazon for about $10

Good soft top thread stickied at top of forum http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-help-563993.html

·
Administrator
42,621 Posts
I think it's crazy how they install both tops, they should just put the soft top in the back on the floor.

1. Yes, the hard top must come off to remove your soft top or you risk damaging both tops.
  2. I have an older JKU but I believe yours has a spring assist device on the bow connectors so yes, I believe you have to detach the bracket from the sport bar (roll bar). Older model JKs just have to detach the bars from the bracket.
  3. Any hardware or auto parts store will do.
Some folks have a list of the tools required, hopefully someone will chime in soon. Good luck with your new ride :thumb:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
DO NOT REMOVE THE BRACKETS FROM THE ROLL BARS!!

Those brackets stay there permanently and make it simple as pie to put the soft top back on. Just don't forget to give them to the new owner if you ever decide to sell the soft top.

They have little tabs on them that allow you to easily hang the soft top in place to put the bolts back in. They're not meant to come off the roll bar. Take out the bolts that attach the soft top to the bracket and then just lift it off.

For questions 1 and three, yes, and if your Jeep didn't come with the little tool kit, go back to your dealer and ask for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the help and answers I read up this morning and got the top out (left the brackets in place) had a buddy come help me lift and remove the soft top. You guys are awesome looking forward to posting more as I build it out my minds been running a million miles an hour with ideas lol

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
My tool kit in both the Sahara and now the Chief were in the center console. But that may just be the way my dealer handles them.

You should also get 4 grab handles, two coat hooks and a large bag for storage of the Freedom Panels.

If you did not get yours, I would first ask the salesman about them, especially the storage bag. It is large and hard to misplace. Mine was in the back of the Sahara and behind the drivers seat on the Chief. The grab handles are ok, but are the type were you weave the strap through a plastic buckle. You can find nicer ones on the internet with velcro fasteners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the grab handles and the bag just no tool kit so I bought one it wasn't expensive. Did you install the handles yet? I haven't was probably going to do that this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts