Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, finally got my rubi today, waited since ordering oct 31st. Took forever. Black with black painted top and fenders.

Love it to death already, but the paint is not good. swirl marks everywhere and a few light scratches.

The dealer's answer was that it comes from the factory like that and a jeep's a jeep.

Should new jeep owners expect to have to have their trucks re polished after they pick them up new?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would never own a black Vehicle (but they do look really good) for that reason. Too high of a maint. BUT, if I were to buy one new from the dealer then I would expect it to be near perfect. If small scratches and swirls are gonna be on it, I'm going to be the one doing it.........

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel the same way, but the question is, are jeep buyer supposed to just expect this? do you tell the dealer to order another one and wait another 2 months?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a black corvette, worst color ever made for maint., best color ever made for looks. That said, I would tell the dealer to polish out the swirls, that was part of the dealer prep when I bought mine. It should be flawless, if only for a day..;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would not take delivery of a vehicle if it was how you stated. These jeeps now a days are not cheap. Prices have increased on them and I believe so should the service. When a customer picks up his/her new vehicle that they have been waiting for it should be in showroom condition. I would talk to the general manager and I am sure he would have it detailed for you at no cost. I recently purchased a 2012 JKU Rubicon black with painted top and fenders and it looked showroom condition when I picked it up.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I feel the same way, but the question is, are jeep buyer supposed to just expect this? do you tell the dealer to order another one and wait another 2 months?
I'm guessing you spent around 34k for a brand new vehicle you should not just throw it off as oh its a jeep oh well, if you put the scratches thats a whole different story but straight from the dealer no way in hell ill be taking the jeep home. if you havent taken it yet do me a favor and go look at the Grand Cherokee SRT8's that they have on the lot and tell me if you see a single spot in that car just because it has a higher price tag does not mean you should have a less quality paint job they go through the same prep and paint and the same quality should be put into each and not less just because its a wrangler

·
Registered
244 Posts
The Jeep dealership owner drove mine for a couple hundred miles before I bought it. I got it home after buying it, and there were a couple very minor scratches that I made note of, called the dealer, and brought it into the bodyshop the next week. They buffed everything out and it looked great.

When people are test driving vehicles or when its getting detailed, scratches are going to happen, but the dealer should be working for you in this regard. I wouldn't tolerate anything less.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have a black corvette, worst color ever made for maint., best color ever made for looks. That said, I would tell the dealer to polish out the swirls, that was part of the dealer prep when I bought mine. It should be flawless, if only for a day..;)
I would actually tell the dealer you want them to pay for a professional detailer to fix it. The dealer's detailing department is just going to have someone that probably barely knows how to run a rotary over it with a glaze that will hide all the swirls. After a few washings the paint will look just like it does now (or worse if the guy with the buffer doesn't have a clue) because the fillers in the glaze will have washed off, and you'll just assume you did it somehow.

edit: Just to note also for the OP. If the dealer did all the dealer prep on it and washed & detailed it for you before you saw it, chances are VERY good that the dealer themselves caused what you saw. Especially when you take their attitude about it into account. I will be calling my sales guy tomorrow (this thread just reminded me) and a few times over the next week until my Jeep shows up to remind them to ONLY take off the outside shipping materials and do whatever maintenance checks are necessary. They are not to wash/buff/clean it in any way. Yes I expect to get scratches/etc. in it from use, but they will be from me and not from the dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2010 had some "rail dust" in the paint,especially on the hood. The dealer re-painted it and amazingly it came out perfect. No swirls, just deep mirror black. Originally they thought about rubbing out the rail dust but they were afraid it would leave swirls. Maybe your dealer had some prep guy buff it when it came in and screwed it up. I would not accept anything less than perfect paint on a new vehicle. Don't take their "it's a jeep BS"!

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
My JKU was a factory order, so my paint was actually flawless. I used to detail cars on the side, so I know what "flawless" paint is supposed to look like. No swirls, no orange peel, no ghosting, no high spots, nothing. I also told the dealer that when the truck arrives, if they wash it, I would walk away from the deal.

·
Registered
529 Posts
hey everyone, finally got my rubi today, waited since ordering oct 31st. Took forever. Black with black painted top and fenders.

Love it to death already, but the paint is not good. swirl marks everywhere and a few light scratches.

The dealer's answer was that it comes from the factory like that and a jeep's a jeep.

Should new jeep owners expect to have to have their trucks re polished after they pick them up new?
Take it back and have them detail it.....don't accept *they come from the factory that way*.If it's a *used vehicle* than yes...a spanking brand new vehicle....:nonono:

Just because it's a Jeep doesn't mean it should be accepted,if it was a brand new Mercedes you would be demanding an explanation and it being fixed.

Not "it came from Mercedes plant this way" :facepalm:

·
Registered
488 Posts
You shouldn't have swirl marks from the factory, regardless of the color. Complain higher up the chain if need be to get them to fix it.

I had a nearly-new black '93 Honda that had paint bubbling on the nose & hood; Dealer tried to pass it off as the result of 'acid rain' :mad:

I talked to the regional service manager & he agreed to have the front clip re-painted by a local body shop. When I traded that car in, the areas that were re-sprayed were the only places where the clear-coat wasn't fading/ peeling. Go figure :p

·
Registered
941 Posts
My 2012 is black and the paint looks perfect from what I can tell. No complaints here. Yes it can be a pain to keep clean but you know that going into it. My garage comes in handy too :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a new black JKU, it was in the sun and I noticed the rear door paint was thin and you could actually see the primer. The next day I looked at it the second time and I could not see the defect, just black paint. Weird, I think it was the way the sun was hitting it @ a specific angle. As soon as we get a sunny day I will check it out again.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
As others have already said, black is a tough color. It is probably the worst color for showing imperfections and dirt, but when it is cleaned up and polished it looks great. I owned a black Mustang and a black Honda and will probably never purchase a black vehicle again. It is just too much work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine is black; no problems with the paint. It was clean and shiny when I picked it up. Of course, I didn't have it in the sun/lights looking for issues either. Your dealer seems like they are feeding you a line because they are lazy *&^%! that don't care about the customer once the sale is made. A Jeep may have been a Jeep in the past, but when you're dropping >$35K for a vehicle, I think you should expect it to be in "new condition" with quality control equal to the price you're paying.

Can you post pics so we can see what you are talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Heck....

....... at the cost of a new Jeep these days: Take it back and tell the Dealer to go SCREW himself :thumb:

There are plenty of other Dealers that want your $$$.:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts