Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. East coast Jeeper here with a '16 unlimited. I have about 6700 miles on it so far and I called the dealer asking about a free oil change for new purchases. They only do it free when the oil is at 20% and it's currently at 30%ish.

I asked them why it seems so high, as I was told a rule of thumb is to change it every 3-5k miles. This is when he mentioned to me that the new jeeps run synthetic out of the factory. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Hey guys. East coast Jeeper here with a '16 unlimited. I have about 6700 miles on it so far and I called the dealer asking about a free oil change for new purchases. They only do it free when the oil is at 20% and it's currently at 30%ish.

I asked them why it seems so high, as I was told a rule of thumb is to change it every 3-5k miles. This is when he mentioned to me that the new jeeps run synthetic out of the factory. Can anyone confirm this to be true?
Only thing I CAN confirm is - Dealers rarely (if ever) "Know" anything.

Also, the oil life indicator runs off a duty cycle logarithm (sound impressive huh?) and that does not account/vary for oil type or weight etc. It simply tracks duty cycles.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,524 Posts
When I went for my free oil change on my 2015 it stated: "$3.50 charge for each additional qt of semi-synthetic oil. " This was e-mailed to me from "Jeep Brand Serviced by Mopar".

The Mopar Connect app for my 2015 JKU also states to not exceed 12 months or 10,000 miles per oil change.

-Rick

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
When I went for my free oil change on my 2015 it stated: "$3.50 charge for each additional qt of semi-synthetic oil. " This was e-mailed to me from "Jeep Brand Serviced by Mopar".

The Mopar Connect app for my 2015 JKU also states to not exceed 12 months or 10,000 miles per oil change.

-Rick
Yes and that's add'l $21.00 on top (if paying) for syn-blend. I get an entire 5qt. container of Full-Syn for $27 and a Mopar filter for about $7.... so, oil changes cost me under $40 DIY. AND I get to drink Beer and tell Wifey to not bug me.
She is convinced it takes me like 3 hours to change my oil. Now you guys know why I let it drain and drain and ...... drain some more.:)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes and that's add'l $21.00 on top (if paying) for syn-blend. I get an entire 5qt. container of Full-Syn for $27 and a Mopar filter for about $7.... so, oil changes cost me under $40 DIY. AND I get to drink Beer and tell Wifey to not bug me.
She is convinced it takes me like 3 hours to change my oil. Now you guys know why I let it drain and drain and ...... drain some more.:)
I thought I was the only one that did that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So it is supposed to be synthetic? I called my local service department as well and was told it was not required.... Been using Valvoline 20-50 every 3000-3500k. Ive changed it twice. And yes I (WAS) using WIX filters but next change and all thereafter I will be using Mopar! (LOL)
Smitty convinced me... :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Great minds think alike SS - Ditto for me on mine. Plus, for taking care of my bro-in-laws Hard Rock: it's a six pack/grilling steak package. As a bonus, he's on a 3K mile rotation for oil changes...

See ya on the Trail!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts

I won't get into when to change the oil, but Chrysler doesn't use synthetic oil as a factory fill in Wranglers, they use 5W20 Pennzoil convention oil.

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
I won't get into when to change the oil, but Chrysler doesn't use synthetic oil as a factory fill in Wranglers, they use 5W20 Pennzoil convention oil.

^^^This!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
So it is supposed to be synthetic? I called my local service department as well and was told it was not required.... Been using Valvoline 20-50 every 3000-3500k. Ive changed it twice. And yes I (WAS) using WIX filters but next change and all thereafter I will be using Mopar! (LOL)
Why are you using 20w-50?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
How many miles are on your rig? If not excessive the thickest oil you should be using is 5w30

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,524 Posts
From my understanding Jeep uses semi-synthetic from the factory. That's the oil used in my 2015 JKU's changes unless requested otherwise (Full synthetic). That's why they can list the 12 months or 10,000 miles MAX (depending on conditions) between changes.

Normally I change the oil myself as well (I have 6 or so Mopar filters and several gallons of Pennzoil Full Synthetic in the basement, but figured I can't beat free. And it was literally $0 out the door and less than 1 hour waiting at the dealership.

-Rick

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
From my understanding Jeep uses semi-synthetic from the factory. That's the oil used in my 2015 JKU's changes unless requested otherwise (Full synthetic). That's why they can list the 12 months or 10,000 miles MAX (depending on conditions) between changes.

Normally I change the oil myself as well (I have 6 or so Mopar filters and several gallons of Pennzoil Full Synthetic in the basement, but figured I can't beat free. And it was literally $0 out the door and less than 1 hour waiting at the dealership.

-Rick
It's conventional bulk Pennzoil as previously mentioned. If that was the case it would be listed in the manual because Chrysler would want the owner to continue using semi synthetic, especially during the warranty period, in order for there not to be any issues with changing it at the max time/mileage interval. The max is 1 yr. 10K miles using conventional oil. Some dealers only stock conventional, some will use semi synthetic and some will offer full synthetic depending upon what the majority of customers request or what is better for their bottom line. The manual further indicates "You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed". It doesn't differentiate between semi and full synthetic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm hoping that was a typo. Unless he's on the Sun.
Why would this be a typo? The owner's manual calls for 20w50 oil, as does the filler cap?

I just changed my oil over the weekend using Pennzoil Platinum 20w50....

Is there something I should know, as I chose that oil and weight after reading numerous positive comments on this forum and others about it?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Why would this be a typo? The owner's manual calls for 20w50 oil, as does the filler cap?

Is there something I should know, as I chose that oil and weight after reading numerous positive comments on this forum and others about it?
Oil viscosity is referred to in this case as SAE 5W-20. That's probably where the confusion comes in. I'm sure the filler cap indicates "5W-20". The manual indicates SAE 5W-20 or SAE 5W-30 can be used "if" 5W-20 isn't available.

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts

Are you serious, or just having some fun with this Post, 20w50..Really???

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
Just having fun....:mooning:
I thought so, I don't believe that Pennzoil Platinum offers a 20w50 oil.

Thanks for leveling with us, a little fun in life is good..LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts