Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to jeeps but always wanted one. Just ordered one from the dealer- 2013 sport with S package, unconnect, power, and a hard top b/c I live in a city. I got the 3.21 gear, should I cancel and get one with a 3.73?? What does it do for you?

Jay

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
New to jeeps but always wanted one. Just ordered one from the dealer- 2013 sport with S package, unconnect, power, and a hard top b/c I live in a city. I got the 3.21 gear, should I cancel and get one with a 3.73?? What does it do for you?

Jay
On a Pentastar Jeep, if you run tires bigger than 33", it'll potentially save you $1200-$2K on gearing.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
In a nutshell, the 3.73 ratio allows you to tow more weight. Also allows you to run bigger tires (within reason) without losing as much power as you would with 3.21s. Better performance on hills.

·
Registered
860 Posts
3.21 is fine for stock tires...and will give you lower RPMs at the same speed... and better gas mileage on the highway.

If, on the other had, you do a lot of stop and go driving, a 3.73 might make life a little nicer by giving you more acceleration off the line. Not sure I would cancel an order over it though...but I also probably would have opted for 3.73 if I custom ordered a Sport.

BTW, for full disclosure, I went out of my way to ensure my 2013 JKR had a 4.10 rear. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Jplansky said:

Jay
You didn't mention if you got an manual or automatic. Personally I found the manual more difficult to drive with the 3.21s so I ordered the 3.73s. I test drove both before I ordered.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered an auto. Manual is terrible for city driving. So can I just ask the dealer to swap it out on site or would I have to cancel? Is it that big of a difference if I plan to lift and put on big tires?
Jay

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
For a two door auto that will be in the city, you will be perfectly fine on stock wheels with 3.21's. But if you start modding (bigger wheels, heavy bumpers and sidesteps, ect), you will have wanted 3.73's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a '12 Unlimited 6 speed, 3.21......for now. As far as I am concerned it should have never been an option. 3.73 should be standard, it makes the new engine feel like it is struggling and I am very unhappy with mine. But they are temporary anyway.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Gearing is a lot better in the 2012+ 5 speed auto compared to the earlier 4 speed models. Here is a snap shot of the gearing with 33in tyres, you can see the RPMS's comparison the earlier models.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
A friend of mine bought a new one that had the 321 gear ratio with z manual trans. He ended up taking it back and paying to have it changed to 373. Better power better torque and a lot better mileage and more fun to drive. I would change the order, especially if you live in hilly country.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get the 3.73. If you just ordered, you may be able to make the change, but make sure it get it in writing. I made a change to mine within 3 days and they were able to do it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought my Sport model regardless of the color but because it had the 3.73s. Of course the color has grown on me !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I test drove a 2012 2 door manual with 3.21 gears but wound up ordering the 3.73 Unlimited to get the better tow rating. The 3.21 drove just fine but the 3.73 feels like a hotrod. It will absolutely light the rear tires up and fishtail with little effort. I'm sure the limited slip plays a hand in that.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I test drove a 2012 2 door manual with 3.21 gears but wound up ordering the 3.73 Unlimited to get the better tow rating. The 3.21 drove just fine but the 3.73 feels like a hotrod. It will absolutely light the rear tires up and fishtail with little effort. I'm sure the limited slip plays a hand in that.
Ummm?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
i don't buy the better mileage with the 3.21. it only gets better mileage if you're driving at 85 on the flat with no traffic or hills, and even then probably 1 mpg more max. completely cancelled out as soon as you encounter real life driving conditions

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had 321's on my jku, it felt like I was going no where fast. My 12 jku has 373's and I'm completely happy, like night and day. No regrets .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts