Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about heading over to Uwharrie next weekend to spend some time on the trails there. I've never been, and my Jeep is still very stock. (I just got it last Saturday, so cut me a little slack!)

I'd like to do some exploring, learn the area a bit better, and not hit any trails that I can't get out of on my own. Any suggestions where to go, or areas to avoid? I know I need to stop and get a trail pass, but other than that, I'm not sure where to start.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What part of NC you in ?
Charlotte, near Huntersville. My Jeep is also my daily driver, so I'm not looking to break anything, but would like to get out an explore some trails.

I was hoping to learn the Uwharrie area a little better, and maybe take the girlfriend out for a nice ride so she can better understand why I traded my comfy, reliable, and very useful full sized pickup for the JWU! I'm also looking to scout some areas for dual-sport riding - I have a Buell Ulysses that loves to get muddy!

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Hook up with Carolina Trailblazers or Central North Carolina 4x4 Club. CNC 4x4 Club

CNC website also has trail maps - don't go by yourself.
Get a good tow strap and a wingman.

The trails are decent - but don't underestimate them. They've eroded a bit now, but I've been all over that place in a stock TJ. When the trails are wet they are much more difficult, BTW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
x2 on not going alone, especially your first time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Shoot me a PM and I can give you the lowdown on Uwharrie. I may go out doing some exploring next weekend finding some fire roads.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm headed up to the Pisgah National Forest to ride some trails tomorrow. Planning on leaving Charlotte in the AM, stopping at a diner for breakfast, then hitting the forestry roads around Brown Mtn (NC-90, Maple Sally, Pineola) and then BBQ for lunch near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Return trip will be down NC-105, which is a dirt road that runs the ridgeline west of 181, then head back through Morganton and Hickory for a brew or two at the local breweries. Nothing too crazy - I'll be avoiding the OHV park, I've heard that it get's busy on the weekends. Just a nice ride in the mountains.

I'd still like to get to Uwharrie sometime, but I think I'll stick to roads that I know and shouldn't have any issues driving for this weekend.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Crap, I wish I would have known earlier or I would have gone with you. If you don't go I will head up there with you on another weekend, maybe next weekend if you want?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a bit wet, so we didn't put the top down, but still had a good time. I brought along the dogs and my girlfriend. We went North on Maple Sally, then took Pineola over to Newland for lunch at Carolina BBQ. We skipped going down Old NC 105 in favor of stopping at a couple breweries in Morganton. All in all, a fun day.

I have a friend's wedding next weekend, but I'm sure I'll get up that way again soon. That whole area is a playground for bikes and jeeps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice. Glad you had a good time. I'm gonna head up that way one weekend soon. I'm gonna have to study some maps and try to get to some of these roads. I think there are a few NFS roads off the listed roads in this area. I've been checking them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts