Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just bought my first Wrangler. I have 255/75/17 tires and there going to be replaced here soon. Theres not a whole lot of tires to choose from. What size can i switch to that I would have to compromise height and width?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hello, I have just bought my first Wrangler. I have 255/75/17 tires and there going to be replaced here soon. Theres not a whole lot of tires to choose from. What size can i switch to that I would have to compromise height and width?

Thanks!!
There aren't a whole lotta tire choices IN THAT RIM SIZE.

You'd be better served by buying smaller rims (16" or 15") and then shopping for new tires. The combo won't cost you much more than the 17" tires alone would run you. They'd be lighter and you'd have a TON more tires to choose from.

Just a thought.

Welcome to WF. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Do you think a 265/70/17 will rub?
Nope. You should be fine. That's a 32" tire (a little under, actually), which is pretty much the cutoff for using with the stock rims.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I got 286/70/17 bf goodwrench mud terrain with no lift and no rub. The dealer put them on so not sure about backspacing.
Backspacing is determined by the wheels, not the tires. Your 285's are nearly 33" tires, so I'm guessing you have aftermarket rims, probably with backspacing of 4.5" or less.

The stock rims have a very tight bs of 6.25" (pulling the tires very close into the Jeep), which means they can't handle as large a tire as aftermarket rims with proper backspacing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
kbwwolf said:
Backspacing is determined by the wheels, not the tires. Your 285's are nearly 33" tires, so I'm guessing you have aftermarket rims, probably with backspacing of 4.5" or less.

The stock rims have a very tight bs of 6.25" (pulling the tires very close into the Jeep), which means they can't handle as large a tire as aftermarket rims with proper backspacing.
I do have aftermarket American Outlaw rims. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I have 255/75/17 tires and there going to be replaced here soon. Theres not a whole lot of tires to choose from. What size can i switch to that I would have to compromise height and width?
There aren't a whole lotta tire choices IN THAT RIM SIZE.

You'd be better served by buying smaller rims (16" or 15") and then shopping for new tires. The combo won't cost you much more than the 17" tires alone would run you. They'd be lighter and you'd have a TON more tires to choose from.
Do you think a 265/70/17 will rub?
Kbwwolf isn't kidding. If you sell you stock wheels/tires, it'll probably be CHEAPER to just buy new wheels and that will open a huge number of options on much more affordable tires. (For example, see here and here.) Price out your options before pulling the trigger on new tires for those stock wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts