Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
My name is Payton, I recently purchased a 2013 JK Sport 4 dr. White with a 6 speed. Recently separated from the Air Force, and am now working for Union Pacific Railroad. I came from the Euro car world and have wanted a Wrangler for a long, LONG time! I finally found the exact one and jumped on it. The modification bug has hit me after a week of ownership. I have a few questions...

1. What would be the most recommended lift kit and height for 35'' tires?
2. Would I need to regear with 35s?

I am planning on a body colored hard top. Thinking of selling my hard top or possibly trading for a white one plus cash on my end, anyone interested?

Gotta get back to work, just wanted to introduce myself!

·
Registered
141 Posts
What kind of gear ratio do you have? If it's 3:21s you definitely have to re-gear. I'm not an expert but I think you'd be Ok with running 3:73s if you have them. However if you don't and you do need to re-gear the general consensus is skip the 3:73s and just go with 4:10s or bigger.

I'm a new Jeep owner too! Feels great doesn't it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep. I've had mine a couple months now and am looking at mods as well. Give us some info on stock gears and plans for driving it. I plan on wheeling stock for a while to figure out what I really want. Too many options to spend money on.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
With 3.73 gearing, you'll be fine, though many recommend 4.10s or more. 3.21 gears will leave your frustrated with the acceleration from a stop. Higher ratios are perfect if you are rockcrawling, but the engine will work harder at freeway speeds and mileage will drop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since your gearing question has been answered for you, I'll bite at the lift and tires. The most popular lift we do is AEV's 2.5" lift which allows you to run up to a 35". I would recommend upgrading the wheels when you do so to eliminate any rubbing issues in extreme bump and articulation situations.

When you step outside the stock Rubicon tire size of 32.2" or LT255/75R17 you will, in my opinion, be putting to much weight on the rear stock carrier/tailgate. You will also be off on your spedo and shift points if you have an A/T (easy fix with AEV's Procal, which is programmed up to the 2013s now).

In mine and my techs opinon (we both wheel or own custom fab rigs), the AEV lift is a fantastic upgrade on and off-road. The wrangler really handles like a sports car on the pavement and through the corners. The triple-rated springs do a fantastic job of holding up to all the extra weight of equipment, off-road bumpers, winch, etc. without sacraficing the handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I have 3.21 gears. I plan on a lot of trail driving (backwoods hunting trails mainly) not so much crawling. I spoke with an off road shop in MN and was told the terraflex 2.5 budget boost is the way to go for $1000 installed. Has anyone in MN worked with Burnsville Off road? That's where I got the quote...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts