Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly receiving e-mails concerning new JK owners thoughts on their purchases. I wrote about my leaking hardtop, which leaked 2 days after purchased new (2011 Wrangler Sahara), and was taken back 3 more times after that for leaks in other areas, and yet not one other person has even mentioned this same problem! I know I am not the only one to have this problem, but I read all of the comments, and saw none! Are you guys screening these comments or what? Just look up leaking JK hardtops on your own forum, and you will find pages of them! I know Chrysler has not fixed this problem, they just don't care.In closing,I think all you new JK owners should not be afraid to speak up about this serious and dangerous situation. Jim K.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

A quick search will readily reveal that leaking hard tops are not an uncommon problem but the causes and fixes are. When they appear to suddenly start leaking is because they have not been exposed to continuous strong rain, car washes, etc.

Many times they don't just start suddenly leaking. They usually start leaking as result of one of the following:

- Recent removal of the Freedom tops and improper re-installation (misalignment, pinched seal, dry seal)
- Slight misalignment or binding of the rear top when removed which causes an alignment problem with the Freedom Tops.
- Cracking of the front seals on the rear top due to excess UV exposures when only the Freedom Tops are removed for extended periods

It can be an annoying problem but with carefully installation, practice and maintenance it can be usually avoided. This would be a Chrysler problem is it was due to a large run of faulty manufacturing, which doesn't seem to be the case. Regarding the design, they could make the hard top a lot stiffer which could ease some of the problems at the expense of weigh and/or cost so this unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that excessive tightening of the hand turned screws above the driver and passenger seats caused my JeeTops to leak above the radio. After reinstalling the tops and only snugging down those screws, the leak stopped during heavy rains.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really like my soft top. I am really considering a wild boar fastback hard top but the price is steeeep. Any one have a wild boar top?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

A quick search will readily reveal that leaking hard tops are not an uncommon problem but the causes and fixes are. When they appear to suddenly start leaking is because they have not been exposed to continuous strong rain, car washes, etc.

Many times they don't just start suddenly leaking. They usually start leaking as result of one of the following:

- Recent removal of the Freedom tops and improper re-installation (misalignment, pinched seal, dry seal)
- Slight misalignment or binding of the rear top when removed which causes an alignment problem with the Freedom Tops.
- Cracking of the front seals on the rear top due to excess UV exposures when only the Freedom Tops are removed for extended periods

It can be an annoying problem but with carefully installation, practice and maintenance it can be usually avoided. This would be a Chrysler problem is it was due to a large run of faulty manufacturing, which doesn't seem to be the case. Regarding the design, they could make the hard top a lot stiffer which could ease some of the problems at the expense of weigh and/or cost so this unlikely to happen.
I don't have the hard top but thru the years I have learned from T tops and even moon roofs to keep the rubber pliant by frequent spraying of silicone and then wiping with a rag .
I even do this on the rubber around car trunks and the brushes (?) on the windows

1 - 10 of 10 Posts